Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Wby mk 5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Wby mk 5

My Accumarks are really coming around. My two that are skim bedded are now consistantly in the 2's. Hard to believe the difference shooting off one of those folding camp tables have made compared to the single point rest I was using in the window of my van. The only thing that didn't come with my rifles out of the box was a spoonfull of Marine Tex. Watch soon for the results of bedding my 3rd Accumark. All 3 clean up in 5 patches. 3 wet with Wipeout primer. Soak overnight in Wipeout and two to dry that out. I was trying to burn these out so I could have Kirby rebarrel them but I'm going to hold off on that awhile. I want to try the table a long range. Too bad you won't be selling any more Weatherby's. That's the only brand I will ever buy again. I'm trying to make up for the 24 yeers I went without. I'm stll tweeked at all the so called experts that warned me off of them.
Some kids want to be a fireman or a doctor to help people. I wanted to be a gunsmith.

NRA Life Member and I vote.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.

Unread 07-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

I had an Accumark .30-378 w/Swarovski 6x24x50PH I put up for sale on this board and got no response; I think I asked $2200. Took it to a gun show last weekend and before I got in the door 20 feet I had 5 guys fighting over it and throwing hundred dollar bills at me (a new experiance for me). Try to guess what I got for it? Well, I bought a Weatherby Sub MOA .22-250, a Leupold VX III 8.5x25x40 to go on it and an IOR 6x24x50 to go on the rifle I got Kirby building me. I'm certainly glad some people appreciate Weatherby rifles; actually the scope was worth far more than the rifle. I think I did OK.
Unread 07-18-2006, 04:15 AM

I saw that 30-378 and thought about it... that is the cal. that keeps me up at night. I think we all have a cal. that keeps us up at night. However, H&S is in that dream building my 30-378.
Unread 07-18-2006, 02:17 PM

I have a 300 in the Jap. Mark V deluxe. The holes are drilled out of line with the bore bad enough that A regular leupold scope still needsd more than 9 moa windage to just get zeroed. I used burris signature rings with the off-set inserts to zero the rifle...seemed like a decent fix if you don't mind that style of ring opposed to a cross-slot weaver style.
Unread 07-18-2006, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

This thread is not dying a decent death I see why . Andy , don't get another one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] . I am beginning to think that the WBY bunch has not " rezeroed their manufacturing specs in a while.

Jim B.

p.s. someone send this to " Teresa " for the rest of us ?
Unread 07-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Gold Member

I just purchased my 3rd Weatherby in 7STW.
1. Is a Jap Lazermark in .257 shoot <3/4" 3 shoot groups all day long at 200.(well after it goes cold after the 3 shot groups #1 barrel contour). Needed bedding and pressure point redone and it was from the custom shop.
2. A Lightweight in .257 this was a bear for barrel break in. Redid bedding and it shoots identical to the Lazermark, ist and 2nd shot on top of each other the 3rd just outside at 10:00. Both .257's love the 115 Bal Tip. The Jap is faster even though 2" shorter barrel.
3. The 7STW in Accumark. Barrel breakin was less than 20 rounds if you can believe it. I have shot .2's with this rifle 7828 and the Barnes XXX 160 at 200 yrds 3350 fps (3 shot groups) The only thing I have done to this rifle is adjust trigger @ touched-up high factory bedding spots. Afraid to fully rebed the way its shooting.
Unread 07-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Silver Member

My Accumark scope-base holes were spot-on in line with the bore. I barely made any windage correction when I boresighted, and moved it back when I got to the range. I'm essentially using the mechanical center of my scope adjustment.