Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Wby mk 5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Wby mk 5

I am still thinking of a proper derogatory name for this overpriced , non performing .......aagghhh!

The desire to resort to the base curseonolgy is strong . But . it is not adequate to describe what is going on .

The bbl alignment with the base alignment is so bad that it takes all the windage at 25 yds to put the crosshairs on the bull . This is so wrong !

It used to be that you get what you pay for, that is no longer so .

Weatherbys are in that category ! I did not buy it but a bud did so I am just as hacked for him!

Jim B.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wby mk 5

I have never heard of the mount holes being out of whack on a Mark 5. Loosen the bases back up and move them the direction you need and tighten them back up to 20 inch pounds. If that doesn't do it Weatherby will fix or replace it. Out of the box with the scope optically centered they are usually less than 2" off at 100 yards. What mounts are you using? What else is there to complain about? I think if you give it half a chance it will surprise you. What model and caliber is it?

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

And everybody complains about the quality of the 700.........

You dont see too many MkV's on the 1000 yard line or on an Alaska brown bear hunt. They sure look pretty though.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

What he said.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Jon A

Thanks. I don't argue with people on the forum. I just say what I have to say and go on. I have built and used BDCs. People who haven't can say whatever they want to say.

BDC is an old technology, it works.

All that said I have three scopes with target turrets.

I didn't really realize anyone was giving me a bad time. People like to bash BDCs and Weatherbys a lot. It seems to pass for entertainment here. Other days people discuss whether one should shoot game animals with Sierra Match Kings. Then if that gets boring just say "Schmidt and Bender" real loud.

Have a nice day

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

"I have never heard of the mount holes being out of whack on a Mark 5."

You can't say that anymore .

It is a Wby mk5 ,fluted ss bbl , Leupold two piece turn in bases and rings . I turned the front base around to see if it was in the bases . It was exactly the same ( way to go Leupold )

As far as Weatherby fixing it ...............are you sure ? how long ? do I need the barcode that came with it 7 years ago ?original receipt , box?,..........I am sorry , but I have been in this place too many times only to be told that I did not have / meet some criteria .............and that gets old ,tiring , maddening [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

As far as giving it half a chance , you really don't want to know what " chances " I have given it .

My plan is to continue on until this rifle shoots half moa or less , whatever it takes ( new bbl / action truing is next on the list ) .

Bad thing is , it would be a lot less expensive to sell this rig ( but what do you tell those that are interested in buying ? ) and build another . That is not an option as My friend Scott does not sell guns . He only buys them .

I realize that any manufacturer on the planet can produce a " lemon " . My oldest son works for Mercedes Benz , sheesh what a mess !
Thing is with an upscale rifle like WBY one should have a serious Quality Control section standing between them and what I have experienced .

Jim B.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

Here is the info on the "authorized Weahterby Service Center in Arkansas. It has their email address

Give them a ringy dingy ding and see what they have to say for themselves.

ARKANSAS

Macks Sport Shop
2335 Hwy 63 North
Stuttgart, AR 72160
Ph # 800-229-0296 Ext #1311
Fax # 870-673-9155
gunsmith@mackspw.com

service centers