Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Vogelzang Standard Barrel Wood Stove Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Bronze Member

Vogelzang Standard Barrel Wood Stove Kit

For your hunting camp stove in those who use wall tents (mine is 14x16)
Do any of you use the Vogelzang Standard Barrel Wood Stove Kit with a 30 gal or 55 gal drum for heating inside the tent?

I was told that the manufacturer does not suggest because the heat gets too hot for tent?

Any thoughts. I am trying to save the expense of purchasing the $350.00 camp stoves.

Thanks
338winmag
Old 04-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Vogelzang Standard Barrel Wood Stove Kit

Did you call the company and ask them directly?

The owner is a really nice guy and I suspect may answer your question himself.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338winmag View Post
Do any of you use the Vogelzang Standard Barrel Wood Stove Kit with a 30 gal or 55 gal drum for heating inside the tent?

I was told that the manufacturer does not suggest because the heat gets too hot for tent?

Any thoughts. I am trying to save the expense of purchasing the $350.00 camp stoves.

Thanks
338winmag
I use 2 different tents depending on where I'm headed but when using the 12x14 I have two different stoves. One is made from a 18 inch well casing that has been modified to have a flat top 3 feet long and I use it when at a trail head where I can get the truck. The thing weighs about 75 lbs. So the 30 gal stove might work for you and you could adjust the fire and close it down so it doesn't get to hot. The room it takes up would be the important thing.

The other stove I use with that tent when packed in horseback I had made. I have a good friend that is retired now that ran a sheet metal shop and he would make whatever I wanted. I can't recall the exact measurements but its trick. All the stove pipe and legs nest inside of it for packing and weighs about 20 lbs loaded. You could I would think have one built in a local sheet metal shop for a lot less than $350 bucks if you know what you want.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 04-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Bronze Member

I had called a vendor for these kits and their claim was that it would get too hot next to tent material and also --> mobile homes, pre fab homes, etc. ????

So I called Vogelzang directly and here is what I got.
"We have this all over our site not to place this in mobile home, tents etc.."

So I asked why, and they stated it has "flame and material in these structures can catch fire easily" ??????

so asked what about your box wood stoves for tents. Again they stated "absolutely not!"

So I then stated you are saying none of these stoves for a tent. Again "Absolutely not!" ??

Well now I might get it.. This might be all about lawsuits????

Geeesh...

I am wondering if anyone has used these barrel kits for hunting in wall tents. I need some actual first hand experience if there is anyone out there with such. Otherwise I might have to spend the extra dollars for the thicker steel camp stoves that are $300+. (sigh)

thanks
338winmag
Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Silver Member

We used the 30gal one in our tent. It did get really warm and you have to be careful of the bottom. It melted the floor of our tent.

Other draw back was the amount of wood it held. You had to fill that dang thing ever hour!

We switched to a gravity feed pellet stove! This thin is sweet, one bag of pellets last around 8-12 hours. We're we hunt there is limited wood so packing in a bag a pellets per 1.5 days is fine with us. It's a bear to get started but once it get lite and starts to draw air your golden.

We seen them at a outdoor store, but they were expensive, my dad made on up from scrap metal around the house.
Ours looks like this. CLARRY Pellet Stove, hunting, line shack, ice fishing, out-buildings
Old 04-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338winmag View Post

Thanks
338winmag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys46 View Post
We used the 30gal one in our tent. It did get really warm and you have to be careful of the bottom. It melted the floor of our tent.

Other draw back was the amount of wood it held. You had to fill that dang thing ever hour!

We switched to a gravity feed pellet stove! This thin is sweet, one bag of pellets last around 8-12 hours. We're we hunt there is limited wood so packing in a bag a pellets per 1.5 days is fine with us. It's a bear to get started but once it get lite and starts to draw air your golden.

We seen them at a outdoor store, but they were expensive, my dad made on up from scrap metal around the house.
Ours looks like this. CLARRY Pellet Stove, hunting, line shack, ice fishing, out-buildings
I'm just curious but don't you fellas want a wood stove that you can cook on? We use the propane only in the morning when in a hurry. All the other cooking in the evenings is usually done on the wood stove.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 04-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Silver Member

The pellet stove cooks the coffee just fine in the AM and a can of soup at night. If I want a bigger meal than that I will cook outside under the pop tent. We do not have a separate tent for cooking and sleeping.

The bottom fire chamber will glow red hot if you crank it up, I could cook on it all day if I wanted/needed to.