Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Use of rear monopod or rear bag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 08:55 AM

Use of rear monopod or rear bag

Hi,

Im hunting since 15 years and always practice in the sens of being close to real conditions. No rear support, a bag or anything for front support like in the field.

Now willing to extend to lonrange (+400yds) the use of a rear support looks like mandatory. I tried once with a monopod and was not really successful.

Do you adjust the height so that the only thing you have to do is just press the trigger? so it means it takes some time in between the shots to perrfectly adjust the position to the center of the target again?

Or you adjust the rear so that you are close enough and you adjust the rifle positons "by holding"the rifle for the last milimeters?

no sure what is the fastest and best way to use a rear support

THX.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Silver Member

Re: Use of rear monopod or rear bag

definitely get a rear bag when you're using a bipod and being prone, or your fist maybe at times. heres a link to the bag i have, its great. MidwayUSA - Caldwell DeadShot Rear Shooting Rest Bag Nylon Filled well worth the money for how much you'll get out of it!
Old 12-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

What I use is a combination of a cheap bench rear bag filled with poly beads and a homemade rectangular rear bag filled with poly beads. You adjust the rear bag by five steps.

1. Set the bipod as low as possible to clear brush and grass and give a reasonable neck position.

2. Determine how many bags you need under the stock to get the approximate alignment.

3. Rotate the rectangular bag to give a pretty good adjustment.

4. Slide the bags forward or rearward so the angle of the stock gives you more precise adjustment.

5. For the last tiny bit of adjustment squeeze the rear bag with your left hand; however, that hand and arm has to be perfectly still so it can't be much of a squeeze.

I have a loop of twine on each bag and I have a clip on my pack to clip the bags to the pack. I also keep everything I need to make a shot in one bag that is also attached to my back pack. When I take my pack off, I unclip the rear bags and the shooting bag and lay them next to the rifle so I have everything near by. I place my earmuffs over the scope so I can't forget to put them on.

I will say this as tactfully as I ever say anything, less than one percent of the long range hunters can shoot in a hurry and kill anything. If you get in a hurry then just plan on missing and scaring the animal.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Gold Member

Try just grabbing the rear sling swivel and sling in your weak-side hand, and making a fist. By squeezing your fist, you make some elevation adjustments, and shoot with some impressive accuracy.

A "woobie" or bean bag under the stock also works well. The kind with "ears" are particularly good, the weak side hand can squeeze the ears to make minor elevation changes as required.

My youngest son likes to shoot varmints with his 6mm Rem like this, and it works well for him:

Or, like a good highpower shooter, you can just sling up and go for it!

Seems like you're a bit concerned about getting off a quick follow-up shot. Not a bad skill at all. That's easier done with the buttstock in your shoulder and gripping the rifle conventionally, because, like a highpower shooter, you can just flick the bolt open and shut very quickly with your strong-hand fingers. It's a little slower to accomplish from prone/bipod, with the weak hand buried under the buttstock, but can be done fairly quickly with some practice.

Regards, Guy