Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Ultimate Tripod questions..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2003, 06:06 AM
Silver Member

Re: Ultimate Tripod questions..

.. Hey Wayne McD.. Thanks for the response.. I'm pretty sure I have that part assembled right.. Only thing was I had the synthetic washer under the metal washer at first.. DOH.! I'm not sure if I'd say it's all that "wobbly".. It just won't lock the moving parts into any particular position.. The upper assembly actually moves very smoothly..
.. Have you enjoyed your tripod.?? It seems like a neat gadget and I look forward to working with it.. d:^) JiNC
Old 06-07-2003, 10:21 AM

Jake,
Yes, I enjoy mine immensely. I haven't hunted with it yet, just target shooting, not as solid as the bench but pretty good. Was shooting my 300 RUM off it at 1000yds and getting consistent hits at a 30" wide by 20" tall steel gong, much fun!!! I need to practice with it more, would like to be able to shoot like Boyd and Butch someday.
Take care,
Wayne
Old 06-07-2003, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Jake,

I was at Alaska Industrial Hardware the other day and was looking at surveyor tripods there. The didn't have the flat top tripods in stock then but had the other type I'm wondering if you've looked at. The type I'm talking about are actually rounded on top, like an upsidedown bowl, and look like they could be the perfect setup if one had a matching "top" piece that mated perfectly to the shape of it. Fit the rest platform to it and it may be really solid. Seems they are made that way to level the laser head without having to level the "top" plate itself.

I'm not sure how large in diameter the ball and socket design of the Hart system is but the head on the tripod I'm talkin about is about 5" around and may offer far superior stability. I can get a pic of one when I'm over there today, and ask about matching tops for them if you like? I think they were $88 for the sweet aluminum tripods.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:06 PM

Jake,
The only drawbacks with going with an all Aluminum Surveyors Tripod MAY be.
1. When you touch that monster off it may really Rock the house.
2. Will be one large Tuning Fork.
You'll have to let everyone know how your progessing. This is gonna get interesting.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:54 PM
Silver Member

..Brent.. Sure thing.. I'd like to see a pic of it.. That mating surface would be the "tricky" part.. It'd probably take a real machinist to figure it out.. There always seems to be one little detail that makes any solution difficult.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I've goofed around with PanaVise type gadgets also.. Almost, but no ceeegar.. Hehehe..

..338-378.. Actually, the main tripod I've been using is fiberglass.. I like it for it's rigidity and its pretty quiet.. The main drawback is cost.. They're a little more than the $89 aluminum jobs over at Home Depot.. But you can see where being able to step on that little foot pad on the back of the leg and just loosening the lever for totally free up/down motion would be key.. Especially in mountainous areas where ya might havta go from top to bottom quickly.. Not to mention being easier on those frozen mitts.. Hehehe..
..And one more thing.. It there a Butch and a Glen in your camp.?? Thanks... d:^) JiNC
Old 06-07-2003, 04:15 PM

Jake,
No, It's a nickname. More Distiquished than JR. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2003, 11:05 PM

Jake,
Make sure all nuts are tight that hold the threaded rod. The metal V should be upside down. I haven't had my synthetic washer for years. The bowl in bowl design is very sleek, Scotchbrite. If it gets to sticky Paraffin Wax.