Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Two new Surgeon rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Gold Member

Re: Two new Surgeon rifles

I liked both Black action ss barrel was the winner....cant really tell thats winter camo ....I thought you got too close with the flash.....But I do indeed perfer that camo to that marble stuff.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Nyles ,

The artic camo photo does have a lot of flash but is very indicative of it's appearance in the flesh. That one is mine and you are the first to choose it over my friends color scheme . Some here may tell you that it is not necessarily a good thing to share my taste preferences [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

Where is Free Run , Ms. ? I was born in McComb , Ms .

Jim B.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Bronze Member

If its any consolation, I think they are both sweet, with the nod going to the first one. Either way sweet sticks.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:03 AM
Gold Member

Hey Jimm,
I thought for one minute that you were going to divulge some kind of secret past dual life as a master safe breaker!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ian.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Bronze Member

I also stopped by Preston's' shop in the fall on '06 to see his operation first hand and I agree with the cu-dos for his actions AND rifles!! I talked with him for an hour or so handling some of the guns he had made and talking with him about potential spec's for a personal build .

While talking with some of his workers he quietly slipped away and came back with the current jewel to his collection...the prototype LA in .338 Lapua. It was truly a work of art and I couldn't help but salivate. He told me he was pressed for time as he was leaving for TX the following morning to a gentleman's 3000yd range to see what the gun was capable of.

Before that though he needed to shoot some development loads for the trip. He explained the he was going to shoot a total of 5 different loads to see what would be best. They consisted of 225gr SMK Lapua Factory, 225gr SMK with RE25 and N560 and 300gr SMK with the same powder.

When asked if I would care to go with him and shoot the rifle well, you can imagine my reply [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]!!!

I don't remember which powder was the lowest ES but it was a respectable 5fps and the 300gr was the winning bullet. I squeezed off 20 of the 25 rounds we shot and by no means would I consider myself to be and accomplished shooter but with the factory ammo I held .45" @ 100 with a 35 ES and the 300gr SMK's went about .3" Preston fired the last 5 and the group was about .2"

Anyway, the gun was a dream and I hope to add one of his masterpieces to my arsenal some day.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Gaff ,

There is another thing about the Surgeon action folks I failed to mention [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]........................they are a dang nice bunch of folks !

Even though I was l;argely in the way and mostly causing them to NOT be able to get stuf done they needed to they were very accomodating and no sense of rush about them .

I have two of those 338 lapmag actions ( Surgeon XL ) on the list for Scott and I . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Jim B.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
have two of those 338 lapmag actions ( Surgeon XL ) on the list for Scott and I

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you planning on shooting some big critter such that you have needs for a big smokin fur gun?