Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Tubb's TMS part 1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Tubb\'s TMS part 1

I got the chance to shoot 20 more TMS rounds through the 6.5-284 Thursday and I have to say that it worked out quite well. I shot 5 rounds and then checked the bullet bite after cleaning and before cleaning. Then I shot 5 more and repeated the process until all 20 were shot. The very last sequence of 5 showed a huge reduction in roughness in the throat and took 50% less Coppermelt and patches to come clean. It is now a solid 4 patch gun. The very last test Berger bullet however did not make any mark on the riflings which I thought very strange because it showed a ton of bite just 5 TMS bullets earlier. I need one more day at the range to confirm velocities and seating depths but thus far I can a say it cleans up much better and accuracy has not suffered at all. Load densities are also back to normal 90% or more. After not having the bullet get marks on it, I proceeded to fire the remaining 5 normal rounds I had left for group at 100 yards. After the fouler, the next four shots went into a .290" group! It obviously still has bite on the bullet becuase these bullets can't hit a bus at 100 yards unless they start into the riflings. I think what has happened is that the lands are now so smooth that they no longer push the ink back on the bullet. More testing is in order for a concrete conclusion, but I can't complain yet!

Part II coming up soon......
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
Thanks 7rumloader.
I have seen the Final Finish work absolute miracles with factory barrels. 7mmrhb and I have done load development on dozens of combined factory rifles that were just plain scary at first but after the kit was done, they often clean up in 3-4 patches and have more velocity than normal. Accuracy has been very predictable and linear with 1/4 to 1/2 inch groups common after the kit.

I will also say that if you are shooting say 95 grains of RL25 in a 300 ultra and getting 3250 with a 180 at max pressure, after the FF kit you will have to use probably 97.5 grains of RL25 and you will get 3350 with no pressure. Then it will also usually drop the amount of patches you have to use with Coppermelt by 50%.

It truly is an amazing product with factory barrels and thus far is proving just as good with custom barrels. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Do you still feal this way? I am getting a 7mm 111 long range hunter for grandson.Would you do it this way on a new rifle ? Thanks for info. Joe

Last edited by new shooter; 05-08-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new shooter View Post
Do you still feal this way? I am getting a 7mm 111 long range hunter for grandson.Would you do it this way on a new rifle ? Thanks for info. Joe

New Shooter,
Do it, you won't be disappointed!!