Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

True accuracy for long range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2004, 01:41 PM

True accuracy for long range

Dear Sirs,

I am planning to buy a new long range rifle, but as it is very expensive I look at every "precision made" rifle in the world before I take any decision.Does anyone could tell me something about the accuracy (shot groups)I could expect with a

- Sako TRG42 .338 Lapua

- Blaser Lrs2 .338 Lapua www.blaser.de/english/produkte/r93/lrs2.htm

- AMP DSR1 .338 Lapua www.snipersystems.co.uk/DSR/DSR4.htm

- HS precision htr2000 .338 Lapua

- a custom rifle with Weatherby MarkV accumark barrel and action in 300Wby,30-378,338-378 or Deluxe 378wbymag. Nearly nobody use Wby rifle in Europe for long range shooting so could you please tell me what would be the best Weatherby caliber for 1000 yards shooting. isn't it too expensive to shoot with that?

Then, could you please tell me what is for you the best factory .338 Lapua rifle with detachable mag.

Thank you
Old 04-30-2004, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: True accuracy for long range

My personal opinion is that the Prairie Gun Works Timberwolf is the best 338 Lapua Magnum. It carries a heafty price, but it is a tack driver and is an extremely rugged system for field use.
http://www.pgwdti.com/id16.htm

My second choice would be an Accuracy International super magnum in 338 LM.
http://www.accuracyinternational.com/

The TRG 42 is an excellent system to, as is the AR 30 by Armalite.

[ 04-30-2004: Message edited by: sr90 ]
Old 04-30-2004, 02:51 PM

I can't speak for any on the guns you mentioned. Except, don't waste your money on a weatherby.

I have a 338 Lapua that was custom made. It cost me about $3100 including bases and rings. Not including scope. PGW action, Mcmillian stock, Jewell trigger, 28" #& Lilja fluted. I think its well worth the money.

If you wan't a good long range rig for the money. Go with a Remington Sendero in 300 RUM. Definitely better than the weatherbys.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:45 PM

Thank you for your informations on the PGW.
I visited the web site thanks to your attached adress and I am very pleased that they use McMillan A series stocks. This rifle could be a good choice

the AMP DSR1 is said by the manufacturer to shoot 0.3 MOA at 100 yds, and the price is nearly the same as the Accuracy Internationnal and the PGW.

One other gun which seems to be accurate is the south african Truvelo SR338,It is said by the manufacturer to shoot 0.5 MOA at 500 yds, but it is not distributed in France and I cannot even get a price for it. Does anyone knows about it?

The Armalite cannot be exported to France if the end user is not army or police it means bought by French state(a salesman from Armalite told me that.) I am a military, but I am looking for a rifle for my personnal use. I found the AR30 very good but was disappointed by this answer, I can't buy it. One top of that i read on this forum an AR30 owner saying that he had to wait a very long time to get is rifle after he gave his order.
It is a bit curious because in France every hunter can buy a Sako TRG 42 in .338 and have it within 10 days.

I found the Sako good too but prices for accessories are too expensive, 600 Euros or USD(it is the same) for a bipod, is it made of gold!. 350 Euros for a scope mount, sorry I don't want to pay for wind.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

FrenchShooter

You might want to take a look at the Sako and order you accessories from the US at Brownells for instance. A set of Burris double dovetail bases and signature rings with inserts for a sako are less than $100 US and that can give you up to 40 MOA alone.

Second, Dave Tooley at Tooleyrifles.com has a european distributor (I know in the UK) for his guns and he can build anything you want that will outshoot all that you have mentioned so far. He is one of the absolute premier 1000 yard gunsmiths in the world.

BH

[ 04-30-2004: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]
Old 04-30-2004, 10:56 PM
Bronze Member

Hi frenchshooter
Dave Tooley"s U.K agent is wildcat custom rifles.Address is Minsterley Ranges."The Bog" Shropshire.SY5 ONJ. phone01743 791858 and speak to David Ryan/Duncan their is a web site also.Using the same address.
If you are interested in a Accuracy Int system I have a colleague who has a 338LM and a very good contact their. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Gold Member

Have to disagree with JohnM about the weatherby [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] yes its expensive to shoot but the 30-378 has been used for the 1000yd game quite awhile.

I'm having one built up now off a MK V action found a smith that specializs in that action, he was recommended by a board member. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]