Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Tripod recommendation for Chronograph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Gold Member

Re: Tripod recommendation for Chronograph

The tripod from CED just arrived. This tripod is built heavy. CED Model HT1555 . Cost is 89.00. Money well spent.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Silver Member

Shooting prone I had problems with false readings on the chrony from debris being blown around. Having the chrony 15' back helps. I have actually tied a piece of paracord to the front of the chrony that I use to set up the exact same distance everytime. Cord never comes off the chrony. Is there a need to extrapolate muzzle velocity for having the chrony further from the muzzle? I'm bummed I can't get anywhere near the velocity I had hoped with one load and wonder if I'm losing 30 fps by having the chrony further out. Not that 30 fps makes a hill of beans difference.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Silver Member

You might be losing 2 fps having the chrony at 15' vs 10'.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Silver Member

I have an older Bogen which is now owned by Manfrotto. I hate to tell you but a good sturdy tripod (with a good head) costs bucks. And quality tripods aren't the things that friends have in their closets or basements collecting dust.

I would suggest you buy a good one as you will probably be using it one day with a quality spotting scope.

Check Amazon and B&H.

Hope this helps. I used to work as an industrial photographer as part of an old job so I have used heavy ones and lite ones, try to find something in between as you (as I) will always grab the lightest one that will do the job. Frankly I hate taking my chronograph to the range as I have a mid-weight tripod but that is what I think is needed.

I will tell you one thing, a good chronograph will help you make new friends as everyone wants to shoot over it to try their loads. I only take mine out on a cloudy day as the sun shields are a waste of time.