Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

tripod mounted rifle rest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2005, 10:30 PM

tripod mounted rifle rest

i would like your imput on an idea for a tripod mounted rifle rest. the concept of this rest is to be able to quickly attach this rest to any tripod and shoot long distances off of it accurately. most tripods have independent leg positioning,allowing the hunter to set up on uneven terrain.the rest is 6" long x 3.25 wide. the 2 forks fold open from opposite ends of the base from a flush ultra compact postion thus forming a 2 point rest.this is much sturdier than any shooting stick setup. the rest is machined from billet aluminum and total weight is 10 oz. when folded in the closed position its 6x3.25x.625 .the top section of the forks which make contact with the stock have a volcanized rubber layer which grip the gun stock.i would like to hear any comments positive or negative.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: tripod mounted rifle rest

I have made something similar to what you described. Only mine does not fold up. My tripod has a quick detach system so the part I made that holds the gun comes off the tripod with a flip of a lever. The tripod has a three way geared head on it and makes it really easy to aim. Also the head can tilt a complete 90 so the rest can lay flat against tripod if I don't want to take it off.

All the parts on the bottom of my gun are flat and parrallel with eachother and the rest supports the gun in two spots. I made the spots that it rests on slick though. This way the gun's recoil does not grab the tripod in any way. The gun is allowed to recoil straight back into the shooter and the tripod hardly moves.

This is all hard to describe without pictures. Maybe I can get some posted somtime. As far as your design goes I would not coat the surface with rubber. Instead use cloth or something slick. You may find this out after shooting it. If your gun does not recoil much then it may not be an issue.

Hope this helps
Old 08-04-2005, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

I think you have a good enough of an idea to proceed to the next step. Build one and give it a go. It should be sturdy enough that your groups would be as good as you normally get from the bench to be effective at loooong range.

I'm working on a similar but different idea using a camera tripod but it appears that I don't have the metal working capability that you do. Go for it.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Gold Member

Post some pics guys, I'd interested in something like this.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Here is a link for the Ultimate Tripod from RW hart. Works well.

http://www.rwhart.com/store/picserve...l_image710.jpg

BH
Old 08-05-2005, 01:02 PM
Gold Member

Check these out, from Riflecraft here in the UK.

sorry but no info at their site.
http://www.riflecraft.co.uk/mainmain.htm

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
Old 08-05-2005, 04:31 PM

nice picture but i wouldn't want to pack that on any of my hunts