Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Toughest metal finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Toughest metal finish

We use it in the military aerospace industry. Am getting the information from our suppliers right now. Will post more information when the due diligence is completed but there are many sources.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Gold Member

Boss Hoss, Thanks, I am interested in your information.

Lazylabs....

Melonite is another commercial finish to consider.

As far as DIY

There was a thread that was done by the fellow who does the 338 Edge rifles on coatings and his methods.

Worth reading over if you continue to go the route of doing them yourself.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldon View Post
HVOF looks interesting. Where can you get this done?
Boss Hoss piqued my interest so I searched using Google any number of different ways but I couldn't find anyone advertising to coat firearms with HVOF yet. Maybe it's a work in progress...
Old 12-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Silver Member

I've got Birdsong's Black T on 2 and it is pretty awesome stuff. It penetrates the pores so even on spots where it starts to wear like around the muzzle, it is still completely rust proof. Never put oil on them and since it is self lubricating, they are very slick. Currently wait times are about 8 weeks and I am waiting on my 3rd rifle to come back from them. My smith sends them in after the metal work is done and includes the cost in his price. Thinking it is around $275 per rifle, but that includes every part of the gun getting coated. They also have a green version which I have to get someday. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtB View Post
I've got Birdsong's Black T on 2 and it is pretty awesome stuff. It penetrates the pores so even on spots where it starts to wear like around the muzzle, it is still completely rust proof. Never put oil on them and since it is self lubricating, they are very slick. Currently wait times are about 8 weeks and I am waiting on my 3rd rifle to come back from them. My smith sends them in after the metal work is done and includes the cost in his price. Thinking it is around $275 per rifle, but that includes every part of the gun getting coated. They also have a green version which I have to get someday. Good luck.
Sniper Central - Birdsong Review

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Silver Member

as for DIY, i researched 3 different finishes before coming to a conclusion and getting started. $30 worth of Cerakote did the trick for me...and it only takes a few hours on a boring saturday.

Duracoat
KG Gun Coat
Cerakote

Cerakote is in a league of its own compared to the other two... and it is fairly easy to apply once prepwork is done.

I did my whole set up with just one color to start, but still have a camo pattern in mind for later.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:56 PM

If you would like, you could send me the projects to be Cerakoted. Great stuff, great color options, great results..

And, I have the correct License to do this.