Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Torque question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 06:28 AM
Silver Member

Torque question

How much torque is need when installing a Harris type bipod so recoil doesn't crack the stock at the sling stud?

Jason
Old 04-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Torque question

My Harris has a finger screw. Finger tight.

Clones often have a hex head. Not to tight.

IMHO and Understanding:

A sling stud and attachment should be designed to take the weight of the rifle+scope with pretty harsh handling but the pressures on the fore end from a bipod could easily exceed the strength of the attachment or fore end.

If it were me (and I do this almost every day), I'd go finger tight until the pads of the bipod doesn't allow movement. If using an Allen wrench, torque gently with the short end in your fingers until the bipod doesn't allow movement.

Basically, as I undersand it (AIUI) no tighter than needed to keep the bipod from moving fore or aft, left or right.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Torque question

Thank you the reply, jfseaman. I usually torque them down with a screw for the fear of them coming loose. Now I will only finger tighten them. I read somewhere that someone had a swivel stud crack the stock because he had the bipod screw to tight.

Jason