Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

View Poll Results: What would you do to reduce kick and keep noise down.
Vias brake 10 58.82%
Magnaporting 0 0%
Mercury Plug 1 5.88%
Nothing 1 5.88%
other...please e-mail ideals. 5 29.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Th best of both worlds: Brakes vs. Magnaport vs. mercury plugs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 10:07 PM

Th best of both worlds: Brakes vs. Magnaport vs. mercury plugs.

I am getting a Remington Model 700. It is a 300 ultra mag SPS (with synthetic stock, stainless barrel, and jeweld bolt). I have hard many inputs on the vias brake, magnaport, and even a mercury plug in the stock. What do I believe? I don't want all the noise but I want to reduce reciol. Please help, give advise, share experiences, and even share other options!!! :confused:

thanks,

Bowhunter1001
Old 05-06-2008, 12:07 AM
SPONSOR

No need to email.
Any of the good baffle style, solid bottom brakes will be better if you intend to shoot prone:
Holland's Quick Discharge, Shawn Carlock's Defensive Edge, Lawton's Baffle style brake, and Kirby Allen also makes one. There are other brakes of this style that would also do the job.
I have all of the above, with the exception of Kirby's (Sorry Kirby). Any of the will do the job.
I have also have several Vais brakes-great brakes, but I don't like them for prone shooting.
My 2 cents worth.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:37 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

As mentioned, if you want recoil reduction, get a partition style brake, not a radial port brake. Yes the vias will reduce recoil but not nearly as well as the likes of the DE or Holland. My small diameter PK brakes will not be ready until later this summer, the medium and large PKs will be here this week but they are to large for the barrel you have.

As far as magna porting, do not waste your time, you loose performance and you will get very little recoil reduction. Magna porting is and was designed for muzzle jump control on handguns. It does control some muzzle jump on rifles as well but in many cases, on a rifle with decent amounts of recoil, magnaporting often makes the recoil feel even heavier because it comes straight back into your shoulder with no energy wasted lifting the rifle up on recoil.

Adding weight to your rifle is fine but it adds weight to your rifle!!! ALso, your stock is not a good one for adding a mercury dampener. I do not like them anyway. Why have a slim sporter rifle and then add weight to it.

THe right brake and a good recoil pad are all you need. If you get a good partition style brake on your rifle, recoil will be about like a 25-06 at most.

As far as noise, no free lunches here. THe better your brake works, in general, the louder it will be, just a part of the game. If you want a quieter brake you give up noticable recoil control.

Also, shoot a vias off wet ground in prone position and you will be cursing while you clean mud and dirt off everything. That is really not the case with the solid bottom partition style brakes.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Gold Member

Hi,

As xphunter/Kirby said use MuzzleBrake with solid Bottom(no holes on bottom).
I used on my 338Edge a DE muzzlebrake (very simmilar with, build by a local gunsmith up here in canada) and I can shot my rifle ALMOST free recoil all day.
I can spot my own shots.
The only negative part with muzlebrake is YOU HAVE TO USE EAR PLUGS.
I did a mistake 3 mo ago, my earplugs came out, and I did not noticed in time. WHAT A MISTAKE. 1 week I heard rings, vibration on my ears.
I will never do the same mistake again.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:49 AM
SPONSOR

bowhunter,
Another thing I thought I would add about the ability of the partition style brakes is that I use specialty handguns, like the Rem XP-100.
Kirby built me a 7mm Dakota center-grip XP.
200 grain bullets @ 2706 or 176 grains @ 2975 with a Leupold rifle scope on 25x. FWIW I don't have a super strong grip when shooting. Now I do not see a full sight picture when I shoot, but it is pretty decent. Good enough for big game, 1k benchrest and LR tactical style shooting.
These types of brakes are almost to good to be true
Old 05-23-2008, 03:57 AM
Gold Member

I tend to agree with the others, I have one of kirbys brakes and a kdf (I think), I also shot a 300 weatherby which was magnaported, though I think it gives a lil more recoil reduction than kirby gives it credit for, it was absolutely the most uncomfortable rifle I ever shot.
its loud, and it has a piercing crack which feels like it just drove a stick through both eardrums when you take the 1 shot without ear protection while hunting. any type of brake makes a rifle louder, but the slotted brakes like the holland and such are a gentler bang, than the sharp piercing bark of the brakes with the round holes or the magnaporting.
RR