Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Take off Stock/Action Length Ques.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2004, 11:21 PM
Bronze Member

Take off Stock/Action Length Ques.

I have been told that the stocks on remington senderos are the same hs precision stocks with the bedding block that can be ordered custom from hs precision. Is this correct?
I have a remington 700 bdl 30-06 that im am going to have rebarreled with a 26" remingotn sendero contour 280 improved barrel if/when i get the money. Would a take off stock from a sendero fit this. I know most senderos are in 300 win mag, 7 rem mag, ect, do those have the same action as my long action 30-06 or is there a seperate, long magnum action. I would imagine that the really long ones like 7 stw and ultra mags have a longer action than 30-06, so how do i tell which ones will fit my action when looking for a takeoff stock from a sendero?
Also, are these pretty common and easy to find? How is the best way to go about finding them(calling custom shops and asking if they have any takeoff stocks, ebay...i would rather not deal over the internet, local gunsmiths, whatever)??? And what should i expect to pay for a stock off a sendero in good shape and is this a good idea for someone on a tight budget or is it wiser to just spend a few extra bucks to get a brand new one(basically is the money you save worth getting a used product)??

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Take off Stock/Action Length Ques.

Remigton makes 2 700 BDL actions. The long action and the short action. Your 30-06 action is the long action. It is the same as the 300 or even the 7stw. The differance is the bolt face and maybe the rails just above the magazine.

The best place to find a take off stock for a 700 LA is call a few gun smiths. Check this forum and the snipers hide "for sale". They often have some listed as does this forum. Do a search and you may find some. Also there is auctionarms.com and gunsamerica.com

Hope that helps
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:14 AM
Silver Member

meichele

you are right just check if Rem action is BDM or BDL becuase BDM only fit BDM trigger guard box and reciver milling is not the same

If you are "short" in money a take off sendeo is nice because they are not costly and that easy to open barrel channel if you barrel is bigger

If yu are "short" of money perhaps best to go with straight 280 REM because gain between Ai and regular is not amazing , and in 26 inch barrel with good modern powder that can do the job for less money and if you save money in reloading die you can put more in action blue printing or trigger or scope mount

after if you are in better money health you can rechamber in 280 AI easy .

if I want to built a adfordable rifle I probably follow this way

light blue print the action ( square face and lug lap ) and fit a pinned recoil lug ( as Holland ) to get a basic switch barrel

purchase a sendero barrel take off in 270 WIN ( around 125 buck new take off ) and a lee collet die for few buck more

purchase a sendero stock or another low cost take off stock composite for 100 buck used

with this set up you can easy start to shoot LR and 270 WIN with 150 gr bullet is not a bad cartridge

and after you can switch your barrel for 280 AI , 280 rem or other without any problem

good shooting

DAN TEC
Old 01-30-2004, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

Good used sendaro stock is normally $100-125

PSS stock is about $150

Costs exactly the same to chamber for 280 as 280 Ack Imp, so do not spend another $100 later to make it an Ack Imp if that is what you want and you are putting on a new match barrel. Do it the first time.

Trigger job-$25-40
True bolt face and lap lugs -$75-150
Pinned recoil lug (Holland or Tubbs) installed $50-60 (must for switch barrel)
Skim bedd the Sendaro stock -$30-60

used Sendaro take off barrels -$60-100 depending on caliber. Call gunsmiths that build custom rifles, Tooley, Baer, Holland, Borden, Myer, etc, most will have them laying around and maybe stocks. Do not know where you are at, but if you tell, then someone can let you know who to contact in your area.

BH
Old 01-30-2004, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

all senderos are BDLs so you dont have to worry about the detachable mag as dantec pointed to (BDM).

That stock can easily be bedded yourself. Just rough it up and smear in your favorite bedding from the recoil lug back to the rear tang and use electrical tape to secure the barreled action into the stock with a few patches piled up under the barrel in the forend to support it a little--this will giv you a stress free bed job.

you may want to put the action screws in with very light tension just to keep the action centered b/c the HS stocks are a little generous in dimension.

JB

email me if you need me to explain this better--i'll try.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Silver Member

Bountyhunter

I just want to explain that when a rifle start that more easy to thin money investiment in time
first get the stock factory Sendro take off is nice
second blue print the action and fit a thick recoil lugs pined
third bedd the action
forth refit a take off barrel in the best you can find as 270 Win from Sendero that allow practice for less money and the 500 to 700 first long range bullets doesnt be better from a take off barrel than from a custom barrel because practice is important and that save accuracy of custom barrel .

on 280 AI gain between AI and plain 280 is not amazing , 280 AI is a good cartridge but need custom loading tools and fireforming a good 280 REM can do 99% of the job with less money as with the difference of loading dies price you can find a timney trigger for the REM

good shooting

DAN TEC
Old 01-31-2004, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Dantec

Agree basically except he stated he wanted 280 AI, not a 270. Makes no sense to put match barrel on in standard 280 and then spend another $75-135 to rechamber later to 280AI when that is what he really wants in the first place. Now if he wants a 270, then find a good used sendaro 270 heavy barrel and go for it.

Most 280 AIs will give somewhere in neighborhood of 300fps plus over standard 280 with 140gr bullets. That may not amazing to you, but that is damn close in most books. PO Ackley lists it as his top choice in 7mm.(PO Ackley Vol 1, Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders)

I can order custom Forester BR dies in 280 AI for heck of let less than Timney trigger also when I consider the little additional cost over standard dies. Plus not sure I would spend the money on Timney ($86.90 retail from Brownels and $79.80 dealer)for hunting rifle when competant gunsmith can make Remington trigger as good as Timney for 1/3-1/2 the money.

Just my opinion and everyone has their likes and dislikes.

BH