Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Stretchy gunsling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2003, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

Stretchy gunsling

I just carried a Win. M-70 Coyote rifle with a Nikon Tactical in Badgers for a couple of days of chasing coyotes in SW Sask. The sling was a Vero Vellini that I recently bought, and it is an impressive unit.
I have never used a stretchy sling with a relatively heavy rifle, the stretch really makes carrying more comfortable.
This sling does not crawl off your shoulder, nor does it move much at all as you walk or bend-over etc. I did not have to push it back onto my shoulder or re-adjust its positioning like I do with ordinay slings.
You can feel the sling taking up the weight of the rifle on occasion as you step down off a rock or something like that. Makes carrying the 10-11 pound rifle much more comfortable than with a standard nylon or leather sling. Somewhat expensive for what you get, but a very good hunting sling.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Stretchy gunsling

Ian,

I found the same thing with the Buttler Creek type too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I have switched all mine over, talk about comfortable, especially with the big Ruger 416 at 11 lbs. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I like the cartrigde holders on them too.
I have never tried the Vero Vennili, are they about the same material and design?

One thing I found it nicer at was to carry it barrel forward hanging under your sholder horizontal when moving through the thick stuff, and it doesn't slip off.

Another thing I do when in armpit tall brush and such, I lay the padded part on my shoulder, set the gun on top of it, barrel forward, hanging on to it toward the muzzle with one hand with the scope up... nice to have a pad under it!

Ya gota love em!
Old 02-28-2003, 09:50 PM
PUBLISHER

I've been enjoying my Vero Vellini slings for some time. Very comfortable.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 02-28-2003, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

Brent,
I believe that the brand Vero Vellini is a high-end product (cost me 30 bucks), it is also used by Zeiss on some of their binos.
I saw a very similar sling a while back that is much cheaper, will try to get the name of it as it's very well made. Apparently it is a new product.

Len, I imagine that same product would make a great camera strap, not sure if they don't have such a thing. Surprising how that elasticity works for making something heavy easier to carry.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:37 AM
Silver Member

PUT ME IN AS A LOVER OF THESE SLINGS TOO!
I've been using them for about 3 years.
Makes a 9Lb weatherby feel like a 6# rifle!!
Old 05-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Has anybody compared the Butler Creek Alaskan Magnum Comfort Stretch Slings to the Vero Vellinis? Any preferences?

I just happened to see a Butler Creek at the gun store today. Wow, that had to be the nicest sling I've ever seen for this purpose! I curse myself for not pursuing this years ago when I first read this thread.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I also saw a "no-name" cheap immitation of the Butler Creek that claimed all the same things. Comparing the two, there was no comparison--the other was junk. Unfortunatley I think the only way I could get my hands on a Vero Vellini to compare would be to buy one. Thus, my asking for anybody who has handled both....
Old 05-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Len/Ian -- I have a VV camera/bino strap that is several years old, not sure if they still exist or not?

JB