Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

STOCK SELECTION, McMillan, Manners, Greybull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

STOCK SELECTION, McMillan, Manners, Greybull

I'm looking at changing over my 7mm stw to a new stock. I currently have an HS Precision Pro-Series Sendeor Varmint A1 Tactical Full Bull Stock puchased from "stockysstocks." Search code PSV096/97... It's a great stock but I'm looking at another stock that has a thinner Palm Swell. I sometimes carry my gun with one hand. I'm thinking about a McMillan M40A or something similiar in Manners or Greybull or any high quality stock. I'd be willing to trade and pay up if needed for a new one. Obviously I'll be selling this one. There's nothing wrong with it, my hand just isn't comfortable on it. I have a Stiller Predator action and a Broughton #5 contour barrel custom fit in it. Any suggestions recommendations.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: STOCK SELECTION, McMillan, Manners, Greybull

I hand carry my rifle a lot so wanted a stock that wasn't too wide and would balance with the #5 contour Brux 25.5 inch barrel. Ended up using the McMillan Adj. HTG. The balance is perfect.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 04-05-2012, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member

Re: STOCK SELECTION, McMillan, Manners, Greybull

This is exactly what I wanted to hear as I'm probably in the same rifle weight class as you and I like carrying my rifle one handed as I walk, stalk or climb through different terrains and I like the feeling of walking and being ready to pull up if I want or need to. The mcmillan looks like it fits the bill and isn't overly heavy and bulky yet sturdy enough to handle high recoil.

Thanks,
Ed