Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Stock decision help, I cant decide !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Bronze Member

Stock decision help, I cant decide !

So I've finally saved up enough for a McMillan stock. THEYRE EXPENSIVE!

What I really want out of this stock is most importantly durability, something that can take what I throw at it.
I shoot prone with a bi-pod when I am plinking and sometimes hunting, and the stock I have now has a broken sling swivel! I guess all the bi-pod shooting stripped the swivel screws..

During a hunt, you never know what type of shooting position you're going to get into. So I want this stock to perform great sitting and offhand shooting aswell, so weight is going to be an issue.. Nothing more then 3lbs.

I only have enough for one rifle, so I want a do-everything rifle from plinking to long hunting hikes..

I've always liked the A4 for its vertical grip and parallel forend. Something IMO is great for prone shooting,
but I also like the HTG because of its simplicity; a mix up between "tactical" and traditional rifle stocks.

I want to know what your input on this is.. Which stock should I go with or if theres a different stock I should take to consideration...
Old 12-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Stock decision help, I cant decide !

I've also been thinking of the A-3 aswell. I heard these were lighter too
Old 12-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

My two prone rifles wear A3's. I like the vertical grip stocks for prone but not to 'carry'.

For a do-it-all stock, go with the HTG as it is a more traditional shaped stock which is better for woods hunting, but it can also be had with an adjustable cheek piece which is important for prone shooting.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Bronze Member

I really REALLY like a vertical grip, and "carrying" is mostly going to be slung over the shoulder (until the stalking begins)

Do your A3s have any adj cheeks rest? How much do they weigh w/ or w/out, would you know ?

Pics would be nice to see too?

Last edited by Mada; 12-23-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Both my A3's have adjustable cheek pieces.

My 260 by MCR

My 300RUM by MCR

Not sure how much they weigh.

Like you, I really like a vertical grip and agree that most of the time when carrying a rifle it is slung over a shoulder or in a backpack. What I mean though by 'carry' rifle is one where you might take it off your should in order to shoot off-hand. In that case, a vertical grip is not optimal. Here's my carry-gun:

My 280 - Updated!

If you add an adjustable cheekpiece to this rifle, it becomes a good 'all-around'

The HTG would give you that option.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:40 AM
Bronze Member

Wow wow wow ! Very nice shoulder cannons you have ! Its funny because I've seen these lurking around too, lol

I think I'm gunna throw dices aha, each have pro/cons and I change my choice everyday =/ Leaning toward the HTG ADJ though, will have to save a lil bit more though..
Old 12-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mada View Post
Wow wow wow ! Very nice shoulder cannons you have ! Its funny because I've seen these lurking around too, lol

I think I'm gunna throw dices aha, each have pro/cons and I change my choice everyday =/ Leaning toward the HTG ADJ though, will have to save a lil bit more though..
Thanks.

Not to toot my own horn too much, but I really feel like my rifle collection is a 'perfect' set.

260Rem
280Rem
300RUM

Surprisingly, without any preplanning at all, they are all 'remington' cartridges.