Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Steel practice targets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Steel practice targets

Chuck,
There are two ways to go - spend some dollars or cheap. Expensive is to buy commercially built targets usually made of AR500. There are several good sources on the net, www.lvsteeltargets.com is one. Other way is to buy, borrow, mooch some scrap non-hardened steel, heavier (thicker) the better, and make gongs that are going to get beat up but what the heck. Find an old kiddies swing set, hang the pieces of steel on it and give it. Take the shot-up pieces back to the junkyard and replace every so often. Big is best, get the pieces as large as you (and a buddy or two) can handle. Soft steel will divot, crater and bend into a bow but it still works great at longer ranges. Usually five hundred yards is where we start putting out steel, with .308's damage is virtually nonexistent with soft steel. Have seen .338 Lapuas do a nasty job on soft steel targets at 600 yards, it depends on what you are shooting.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Gold Member

Here is another steel target vendor that has had some positive posts on lrh.

http://www.themetalman.com/targ_swinger.html

I was down in Tucson last week and bought one of their swinger targets and stands. I haven't used them yet, but they are impressive and appear to be stout. This metal is basically standard armor plating for military that has not been "certified".

Prior to this new target, I went down to a scrap metal yard and bought a piece of 16" x 12" x 3/4" mild steel for about $30. I drilled it, then hung some hooks on it. I then went up into the mountains and built a fire on top of it to try and temper it. After a couple of hours in the coals, it was a dull cherry red color. I dropped it in the stream to quench it. It has worked well, but I don't use it under 500 yds. The bullets still pock the metal, but not badly. I just figured with all the time and gas involved in the tempering process, it was cheaper to buy. I now use both targets.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

Do NOT waste time or money on T1!
Old 03-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Bronze Member

If you know a large contractor with bulldozers, then go see them. You are looking for the corner bits they take off the blades when they wear out. Pretty often. A D-6 and bigger is better, they will be about 3/4" thick or more and about 8" X 14". If they replaced the bolts get them to and drop them in the holes and weld up. Then put 2 together and weld up. Hang with old chain. These suckers are hard and usually free.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:11 AM
Platinum Member

Thes folks built mine and even put the armor plate around the frames -- Perfect with no issues even with 250 gr SMK's leaving the muzzle at 3100 at 600 and 1200 yards. Not even the slightest dent just splatter marks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.metaltargets.com/LawEnforcement.htm
Old 03-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Silver Member

Chuck

I went to Las Vegas last weekend for the Nascar races ‘WAY TOO MUCH FUN’ and called up Kurt at www.lvsteeltargets.com went right over to his house and pick up three targets. Saved on shipping!!!! way good. Got to meet Kurt in person and BS him for a while, one heck of a nice guy even if he doesn’t go to the races. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Silver Member

Ok, here is my experience with cheap targets:

Specs: Target must be mobile (light weight, compact, easy to assemble).

I was on a hunting excursion with a buddy and saw a small portion of a plowing disc sticking out of the ground. I thought, hey I bet I could use that for something. I dug it up and took it home.

This last weekend, I decided to weld up a simple collapsible frame for the disc. Welded some chain to it, painted it white with some old paint that I had laying around and I had my target.
Cost:
Steel rods (5' long)= $1.50 each at the Home Depot garden center. Disc = Free, Chain = free (don't remember where it came from)(I don't throw anything away). Cross bar tube = free. End tubes = free (old weight bench).
Here are pics of what it looks like:

And here is what happened after shooting at it from 523 yards:

Rifles used to hit target were .270Wby mag using 135 SMK @ 3,330 FPS & .300Win Mag.

I was shooting off a bipod with long legs for shooting over tall grass, with no rear rest. I had a hard time staying on target so I used the old method of jerking the trigger when my crosshair crossed the target. Hit the disc every time, but that was the only goal, no grouping attempted.
My buddy shot his .300Win off his knee with just hold over and hit it every time after 2 doping shots.

Ok, the target did not hold up too well, but it made a really nice sound each time. I need to find a cheap source for these discs, as they are the perfect size and light weight for packing into areas where you can't drive a vehicle. It's quick to tack a chain on and go shooting.

This may not be for everybody, but it's cheap and quick.

Best Regards,
Vic