Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

SSG V Brake knew design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Gold Member

SSG V Brake knew design

Well, the board has been kinda slow so I thought I would show you all my new brake design I came up with for a friend. The "V" design is to provide more surface area for maximum efficiancy. This brake is made out of 416 stainless so it can be polished to match stainless barrels. I offer these brakes to match barrel diameters above .800 all the way up to 1.5. All barrel diameters smaller than .800 are tapered to match barrel at shoulder. All brakes under 1 inch are 1/2 - 28 thread. 1 - 1.25 has 3/4 - 28 thread. 1.5 has 1 inch 14 thread."V" ports get larger as brake diameter gets larger.

308nate

Old 08-28-2006, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: SSG V Brake knew design

Very cool , does it "sound" the same as other baffel style I mean being as loud or louder?
How long is it?
and what kind price would somthing like that run?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Gold Member

Hi Nate i like your design but i would machine out the rough casting marks inside the brake as it will limit the flow of gas and also be a pain to clean

Cheers Bill
Australia
Old 08-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Gold Member

James,
It's been sitting here on my computer desk all day and hasn't made a sound [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
All kidding aside I have not fired a round through this style brake yet,in fact I made it just yesterday on my CNC, I can also engrave a word or short phrase on top of the brake(this does add $20 to the cost) and I can also engrave around the muzzle but that would be pushing $40 as It would need to be put into another fixture and programing is a bit more complicated.

Price of the brake in the picture is $65 plus instalation or shipping. Brakes over 1.25 and over will be around $85

It measures 2.25

308nate
P.S James your custom bolt arrived last week minus an ejector hole. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I sent the bolt back to PTG and they said they hope to get it back to me this week. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

wild_bill,
Those "casting" marks will come out real easy with the first muzzle blast [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] What you are seeing is the very fine particles of dust from being carried in my pocket [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] This brake is 100% machined out of SOLID 416 stainless rod.

To get an idea of the proportion of the muzzle brake in the picture hold your rifle barrel up to the screen (but make sure it's not loaded) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] on my 21" monitor the brake in the picture is about 100 times larger than in real life. I took the pictures on macro mode at 8mg and so you can see everything. I guess I should have blown out the ports before I took the pictures but I didn't notice them until I saw the LARGE pictures on the post.
Life's to short to be too serious [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]...have a good day
308nate
Old 08-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Edited due to being answered by previous post.

I prefer the looks of a fully machined billet myself. Big blackened flutes on the non-ported areas might look good too. I like the V shaped ports and the option of getting it personalised.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Gold Member

Hired gun,
The flutes would look nice but depending on how deep they were it would drop structural strength below a level of comfort for me.
Boy I'm really getting badgered about the dust in the brake [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] maybe I should blow it out and take new pictures (a bead blasted brake at this resoloution and size would look much rougher inside)