Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Spend more on the rifle or the glass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Spend more on the rifle or the glass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I agree with the notion that the scope will generally cost more than the rifle for precision long range shooting. With the exception of one of my customs which was a gift, my other five LR rigs have scopes that range from 1-2 times the cost of the rifle and added accessories. What gives me pause is that this can be carried to the extreme. If you start with a cheap rifle you may be lucky and have a great shooter, but there is a likelyhood that even though the process can be stretched over time, this can be a false economy, and a great waste of time with high frustration. I would opt for a balanced approach myself. The OP's initial instinct to get the Rem Milspec 5R was a good one. I have owned three since their initial availability. I have put several thousands of round through these rifles that are used for tactical, hunting,etc. The most recent was a few months ago. All were nicely finished, produced superb accuracy out of the box, and exhibit the characteristics of a custom barrel/action, and a very good stock. For $1100 they are a bargain. It would be a tough decision, that would make me lean in the direction of trying to get some additional bucks together to find a good scope. I would feel that I was ahead of the game in the end. iMO.
I do agree with this although my other posts might seem a bit over the top I was giving the OP my honest opinion of what I would do but looking at it in a different perspective makes think maybe in the OP's situation that this would be the best route. Very good opinion I think you might have hit the nail on the head and gave the OP his answer Greyfox.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Spend more on the rifle or the glass?

I think comparing the cost of the scope to the rifle is irrelevant. You buy a scope based on function and quality for the job at hand and pay the cost... same for the rifle. Typically, price of rifle will vary more than cost for scope. A $1800 dollar NF is more than adequate for field long range hunting and shooting to well past a mile. I could have an equally capable rifle built for about the same price. Bells and whistles can drive those prices way up.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams