Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Small quality digital camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Small quality digital camera

I've owned or still own five or six digital cameras. Most were Fujis, but that little Samsung always seems to astound me with picture quality. Photos won't blow up as well as the S5 Pro for sure, and the flash leaves a lot to be desired if that matters. What it does better than 90% of the others is when shooting over water or snow on a bright day. I get very little flare in the lense, and this is why Schnider glass is well known to be the finest lenses on the planet. They also do that one in a wide angle and now they seem to have replaced it with the NX1000. Lots of megapixels, but most goto waste in small sensor cameras.

I shot pics one afternoon with the Olympus Pen ELP1 last spring, and really do like it. Yet it has one draw back, and that is that it a live view camera only. You just cannot hold one as steady as an SLR or range finder where you seat the camera body against your face. Otherwise it's a great little camera with three interchangable lenses (85% of the people never change a lense)

I like Canons, but doubt I'll own one. Their sensors don't do color well unless you good with Photoshop. Plus they don't do whites or true blacks (I know they claim they do). Canon is known for it's SLR's, and when you dump $10K in one it'd better be a good one. Sadly they have a software problem they refuse to recognize, and will not fix. (the famous error 99) Side by side shooting, I see little if any difference between the $10K Canon and the bigger DX series Nikons (also in that price range). The one advantage the bigger Canons and the DX Nikons have is that they use a full sized sensor, but the only thing 98% of us would see is that a 55mm lense is actually a 55mm lense with a full size sensor. IOW no serious advantage here. What the Fujis do best is reds and greens in color. No washed out appearence, and very little if any flares. Their B&W is true B&W, and that's why the are the number one camera for weddings. But they also are a little slow in operation when compaired to a Canon. Means little unless you are doing a basketball game up close. One thing I like about the Olympus is the tilt LCD screen. If your doing macro, this is a serious aid. Most of us will never do that, but I do.

Now I use Photoshop and a couple other programs, and I hate working with them! I used to do all that RAW stuff and then build the photo on the PC. Now I shoot 95% in JPEG. Nearly 100% of the photos you'll see in a magazine are done with Photoshop to correct flares and clor saturation problems. I'm from the school that says if you have to do this, then it's time to relearn the game. I might add here that the Optical zoom is a nice feature, but also can create problems. You can blow up photos on a PC to just about anything you want, and even go so far as to pick out individual pixels that offend you.
gary
Old 02-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

just a note:

I was over at Best Buys last night, and stopped by their camera display. They had the Olympus Pen for $449, and Canon range finder (looked nice) for about the same price. They had a new Nikon range finder for $559. Liked the way the Canon was setup, but the Olympus was just as nice. None of them are even close to that Fuji, but the Fuji is a little more money.
gary
Old 02-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

Not sure if this is the style of camera you are looking for but this article is very informative and makes a lot of sense IMO for the hunter/fisher.

'Compact Waterproof' Camera Group Test (Q3 2011) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Scot E.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Thats what I have to have, waterproof.I was crossing creek one day and spun like a discuss throw and lauched pack, it hit a branch and landed in creek, floating away. So much for the last 3 miles of having dry boots
Old 02-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
Thats what I have to have, waterproof.I was crossing creek one day and spun like a discuss throw and lauched pack, it hit a branch and landed in creek, floating away. So much for the last 3 miles of having dry boots
Agreed. And the shockproof and crushproof properties that come with the waterproof cameras are very nice also. I don't have to worry about where the camera is in my pack or how hard I may lean on it while glassing, etc.

Scot E.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Lots of difference between waterproof and water resistant. Typically waterproof cameras are mose expensive becaues everything is 'o' ringed.

However, a camera that meets the IP54 satandard will be water resistant or able to take a quick dunk and still function.

I like the Fuji's myself. I have 2.

There is true optical zoom and interpolated zoom. Interpolated is the camera artificially enhancing the distance whereas optical is the actual lens set changing focal length. Both of my Fuji's have both with a stop in between gradients so you know when the camera is in mechanical and interpolated.

Finally, on higher zoom capability look for Image Stabilization (something the would be nice on sport optics and riflescopes) that takes the shake out of long distance shots without the need for a tripod.

I have a Fuji Finepix pocket camera and a Fuji Finepix S1000FD which I don't think is made anymore. The S1000 is a hybrid SLR (fixed lens) with 10X optical and 5X interpolated zoom with movie capability with sound and full manual or auto operation and image stabilization. It's been to hell and back on bike trips, hunt trips, camping, fishing, family outings, just about everywhere and it works just like new plus Fuji bundles some real nice imaging software with their cameras and for having a large preview screen and built in flash, it's gentle on batteries. I change 'em yearly and use the camera all the time.

I like the little bit bigger cameras better. My little pocket Fuji is hard to manipulate with cold hands or gloves on whereas the little bit larger camera isn't. Something to consider....
Old 02-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Lots of difference between waterproof and water resistant. Typically waterproof cameras are mose expensive becaues everything is 'o' ringed.

However, a camera that meets the IP54 satandard will be water resistant or able to take a quick dunk and still function.

I like the Fuji's myself. I have 2.

There is true optical zoom and interpolated zoom. Interpolated is the camera artificially enhancing the distance whereas optical is the actual lens set changing focal length. Both of my Fuji's have both with a stop in between gradients so you know when the camera is in mechanical and interpolated.

Finally, on higher zoom capability look for Image Stabilization (something the would be nice on sport optics and riflescopes) that takes the shake out of long distance shots without the need for a tripod.

I have a Fuji Finepix pocket camera and a Fuji Finepix S1000FD which I don't think is made anymore. The S1000 is a hybrid SLR (fixed lens) with 10X optical and 5X interpolated zoom with movie capability with sound and full manual or auto operation and image stabilization. It's been to hell and back on bike trips, hunt trips, camping, fishing, family outings, just about everywhere and it works just like new plus Fuji bundles some real nice imaging software with their cameras and for having a large preview screen and built in flash, it's gentle on batteries. I change 'em yearly and use the camera all the time.

I like the little bit bigger cameras better. My little pocket Fuji is hard to manipulate with cold hands or gloves on whereas the little bit larger camera isn't. Something to consider....
The cameras listed in the review are not the cameras you speak of, only able to take a quick dunk. I think the best camera in the review is rated waterproof down to 39 feet, plenty good enough for a hunting and fishing camera. The Panasonic is waterproof to 39 feet, shockproof for a 6.5 foot drop, freezeproof down to 14 degrees, and dustproof. They also take very good pictures in my experience. Likely not as good as a camera purely designed for picture quality only but very, very good none-the-less. As good as my compact Canon and sometimes gets very close to my SLR.

I have used a number of these cameras and they are fully functional for even fully underwater use. I believe most are IPX8 certified.

Scot E.