Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Small quality digital camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Small quality digital camera

Anyone out there got a favortie small digital camera they've used with good success??
I'd like to find a small compact digital that takes good photos but has a fairly good optical zoom---maybe 10X or greater??

Thanks,

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 01-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Small quality digital camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwrunner View Post
Anyone out there got a favortie small digital camera they've used with good success??
I'd like to find a small compact digital that takes good photos but has a fairly good optical zoom---maybe 10X or greater??

Thanks,

Randy
a lot of that has to do with what your budgit is. The two best small frame cameras are the Lieca and the new Fuji, but your also looking at about $1,000 or more. The Samsung NV series (and NX series) are very good little cameras and can be bought well under $300. Samsung has the best quality glass of all camera brands (Schnider [sp]). Another good one to look at is the Olympus ELP series. If your going to use the camera on hunting and fishing trips, Pentax sells a shock proof and water proof small frame camers that a lot of folks seem to like. I've never used one, so can't say much about picture quality. I have used the Olympus, Fuji's, and the Lieca, and you really have to spend $3,000 to get much better. Of the small frame cameras the Fuji has the largest sensor. You can get three different lenses with the Olympus ELP, but most folks are not changing lenses. The Samsung NV series has the optical zoom your after and is a 10 meg camera. There are no plastic parts in that camera. I have not used the NX1000 Samsung, but on paper it looks a winner. If you shoot a lot of color, the Fuji will have the best color by far. The Fuji also is one of the very few cameras that actually shoots true black & white instead of a grey scale. None of the small frame cameras have a good flash system. Most are only good for about 12 to 15 feet. Software wise the Fuji is the best by a long shot (it's pretty much an S5 Pro made into a small framed camera). Fuji has the best sensor for colors and actually does whites and blacks. I love the feel of the Lieca, but that new Fuji is about the same size and has a similar feel.

I'm going to buy a new Fuji or the Olympus this spring, as it's about 99% of the Lieca for about 50% of the price. And I have all the software options down pat on the Fuji. The Olympus is a learning curve all over again. but still a very fine camera.
gary
Old 01-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Sony cyber shot, 10.1 mega pixels, good zoom but only 3X, I have beat mine in the back pack for years. Bettery life is great too.

$79 at walmart

Walmart.com: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S930 Silver 10 MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom, Bonus Case Included, 2.4" LCD, Image Stabilization, Face Detection: Digital Cameras

Jeff
Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Gary and Jeff.
So, Gary, which model of the Fuji are you thinking???
I really don't mind having a little larger camera than the minis but i do not want an slr.
I like to have my camera on my waist belt so that i can take it out and take photos.
My brother who is a semi pro photographer is hell bent on Canons.
He has sent me all these reveiws and of course, they are confusing as heck.
I currently have a older smaller Nikon coolpix and it has been a great camera but the LCD is like way small. And now that I am over 54 years of age, i can't see squat---although i can still see deer and elk 20 miles away.......................
So, i guess, what i would like to get is a smaller, larger sensor camera with a optical zoom larger than 5---my nikon has a 3.5 on it and its been okay but i would really like to go bigger.

Thanks for the input.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 01-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Gold Member

The Panasonic Lumix cameras with the 10x optical zooms are awesome. I've amazed at how good the pictures turn out since they're just a compact camera and the 10x optical zoom is really nice. I have an older model that is a 10x zoom with a wide angle feature as well and I've really liked it.

DMC-SZ7/DMC-SZ1 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global
Old 01-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwrunner View Post
Thanks Gary and Jeff.
So, Gary, which model of the Fuji are you thinking???
I really don't mind having a little larger camera than the minis but i do not want an slr.
I like to have my camera on my waist belt so that i can take it out and take photos.
My brother who is a semi pro photographer is hell bent on Canons.
He has sent me all these reveiws and of course, they are confusing as heck.
I currently have a older smaller Nikon coolpix and it has been a great camera but the LCD is like way small. And now that I am over 54 years of age, i can't see squat---although i can still see deer and elk 20 miles away.......................
So, i guess, what i would like to get is a smaller, larger sensor camera with a optical zoom larger than 5---my nikon has a 3.5 on it and its been okay but i would really like to go bigger.

Thanks for the input.

Randy
it's called an X10. They list for about $599. It's got one down fall in your wants, as it's a 4x optical. But on the otherhand is a true range finder camera, and that's as close to an SLR as it gets. It's slightly larger than the Olympus ELP2, but a hundred dollars less. Uses what looks like the same sensor as the older S5 Pro, and is rated at 12.0 meg. I shot about a dozen pics thru one awhile back at night outdoors, and the shots were amazing for what it was. I'd say it's 3"x5"x1.25", and just feels solid when you hold it to your eye. On the otherhand my Samsung is only slightly larger than a pack of smokes. That Lieca retails for about $1600, and the Fuji is 98% of it, but at less than half the price. I'd also recommend you take a good look at the Olympus ELP2 (or one). Both are very nice cameras, but the Fuji has an eyepiece making it a much steadier camera to use (like the Lieca)
gary
Old 01-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

I have a Olypius point and shoot and what I love about it is it is some what waterproof as advertised. It has road in my hunting fanny pack for 3-4 yrs. I even squawshed it and used pocket knife to open lens cover, hers a pict from wolf hunt last week
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Small quality digital camera-winter-moose-city-001.jpg