Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Sitka Gear worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sitka Gear worth it?

I have used a pair of king of the mountain bun light for over ten hard years.They have many patches but they are my fav.The river west doesnt breath for everyday use,to hot.The regular weight King is to hot unless really cold or stand hunting,I have both.I look for used,bought some long ago and cant beleive prices now
Old 05-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Silver Member

First off join Camofire.com and their Core 4 merino base layers. Waaay better than anything Sitka sells. If you are an active hunter the Sitka or Kuiu is hard to beat. Lightweight, breathable, and great patterns. The Rivers West stuff is great too if you are NOT active or don't perspire.
Hunting here on the Oregon coast is wet and seldom gets temps below 40 during regular hunting seasons.
Since I switched to merino wool base layers and layer up with the Sitka and or Kuiu I hunt harder and longer because I'm not soaked from sweating or tired of packing my heavy rain soaked Rivers West gear. It is amazing how much excess weight I used to lug on just my clothing.
You need to shop for good buys on the Sitka..CamoFire.,ebay, Mountain archery, Santana outdoors, vision outfitters, prolite gear to name a few. The Kuiu pretty much comes from their website.
The bottom line is...if you are an active hunter the Sitka/Kuiu gear is worth every penny.
Broughton fluted 5.75, 5c @ 28"
Graphite Black Cerakote
Jewell Trigger
GreyBull Precision Stock
180VLD's@3145fps. with 72.8grs. of H1000, 215m primer
Old 06-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Bronze Member

I like Sitka Gear, but I don't think I'd go with the Incinerator Jacket for 2nd rifle season. I hunted 3rd season last year at 8000' in Colorado, and I would have never taken that coat out of my pack. For $850 budget, I'd pick the Traverse zip-t, the Mountain pants and the Cloudburst jacket, which can be used for wind or rain. That still leaves $200 out of your budget for merino wool base layers (check out Redram) and an insulating layer. You can pick up an 850 down jacket from Go-Lite for $100 or a 100g Primaloft jacket from Cabelas for about the same price.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Gold Member

I will also throw Under Armour out there as well...their gear is fantastic and somehow cheaper than Sitka. Probably the reason that I don't own any Sitka gear...
Old 06-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

I'm a big fan of Kuiu gear. Super comfortable, light weight, and breathes way better than Sitka in my opinion. Kuiu's fabrics seem to be more technically advanced than the Sitka if you read the reports.
Definitely go with merino wool base layers. They are warmer, lighter, and don't smell like the poly based products. I have first light and Kuiu merino and both are great.
Go with layers. Don't get a heavy coat, layer up. Some nice 850 fill down and a shell over it and you will be comfortable.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:08 PM

Porkchop401 here is a list of items I would take if i was you

Core crew
Traverse Zip T
90%Jacket
Mountain Pant
Traverse Bottom

This will put you in the $700 range and then next year you can buy more gear.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Silver Member

Take a look at the new kryptek line of gear great stuff and just like sitka but way cheaper, and great camo pattern