Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Sitka Gear worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

Sitka Gear worth it?

Felas , I am considering purhacing a incinerator jacket and possibly a pair of sitka outter wear pants for a annual elk hunting tip that last 8-14 days in CO during the second rifle. The possibilty of base layers are off he table due to the cost (I change daily). A jacket and pants buy them selfes will be roughly $850 , cosidering my entire trip this past year cost roughly $1400 , getting some real insight as to wheather it is worth that kind money is a must . Typically mornngs are in the 20's but single digits are not uncommon . I am looking for more warmth with less bulk or any other benefits you get from this elite line of outdoor clothing. Your thoughts please.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:56 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Sitka Gear worth it?

I am a Sitka fan BUT!!!! now I am SOLD on KUIU.... check it out.... ps it is cheaper...

I will say that yes Sitka and Kuiu are more expensive. I cant tell you if it lasts longer as my oldest set of Kuiu is only two years old and Sitka is about 4 years but it is at worst very close to if not more durable then the Predator clothing i used to use. The main things you will LOVE and what makes them stand out are:
1) The wind protection
2) The moisture wicking ability... Not getting sweat soaked like cotton clothing would
while hiking is priceless.
3) They dry VERY quickly
4) The Kuiu stuff has a water repellent that is amazing if you get caught in rain or wet
snow.
5) The Fit and articulation of Kuiu is second to none(even Sitka) It really is amazing how
much energy it actually saves you by not hindering your movement. I can honestly
tell you it is noticeable if your hiking a lot in the high country.
5) The vents along your thighs of the pants are a great feature to stay cool

Anyway I hope this helps...

Chris
Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 PM
Gold Member

+1 on Kuiu, the new Sitka gear is not built as well as it used to be.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:34 AM
Bronze Member

I have a sitka jacket and love the pattern! I would recommend, just wish I could afford more....
Old 05-16-2013, 05:53 AM
Bronze Member

Sign up for camofire.com, they post Sitka on there all of the time for way less.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Bronze Member

used to wear sitka, never had kuiu but like the looks of it and hear good things about it. Might also try our First Light clothing, it's mostly merino wool so is warm and light and priced about the same as the others. For the record my sitka pants lasted 4 years in the mountains before ripping the knee and wore out the cuff at the bottom( I think from how my gators attach to my boots) This past year was the first with my First Light but I was impressed
Old 05-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Gold Member

I use RIVERS WEST, good stuff.