Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Single-shot VS. repeater action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2006, 04:23 AM

Single-shot VS. repeater action

Hi all,

Iíve been reading this forum for a quite while and always appreciate the usefully information you guys provided here. I just started building my first long-Lange rifle, well actually the only thing on the way is Borden rifleís new Alpine repeater action:
http://bordenrifles.com/Alpine_4/index.html
I initially ordered the single shot action but Jim said there will be bit wait for single-shot, so I change it to repeater, while talking to my friend he said I should wait for the single-shot as itís stronger and is better for the scope, also is easier to bed too. So Iím in bit dilemma now, to send back will certainly cost quite bit as Iím in New Zealand. My plan is build a light weight 7mm SAUM(less than 8lbs) rifle. Oh by the way, my friend also suggest to use one piece mount base, but Jim thinks at moment nobody makes them, is it possible to get one custom made? Or does it really help?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Yibai
Old 11-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Single-shot VS. repeater action

I just had a custom rifle built on a REM 721 Repeater and did a REM 700 myself, both repeaters converted to single shot.

For hunting accuracy I doubt that any accuracy difference will be notices. The limitations for a repeater come mostly from magazine considerations when can restrict over all cartridge length which was the reason I went the single shot route.

For hunting its always nice to have a second or third shot with little or no hassle.

Regarding mounts, I've used two piece and solid mounts and haven't noticed any difference in "hunting" accuracy. Having said that both of these rifles out shoot any of the REM 40X single shot benchrest rifles I've ever had. They even out shoot a Hart sleeved Hart barreled 222 that wasn't actually a bench rifle but was converted into one.

You may wish to consider contacting several of the smiths on this board for some considerations.

It sounds like you have a good start.....
Old 11-26-2006, 12:32 PM
Gold Member

I wouldnt worry about the single shot vs repeater as far as strength or ridgidty go,you may actually appreciate a repeater more when a follow up shot is needed.
I also ordered an Alpine and Timberline in the single shot configuration,more out of preference than anything.Hope the wait for the single shots isnt too much longer,its been quite a wait already. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

From what I've observed and done myself over the years, Win. Model 70 actions have been built into rifles that have shot the best for accuracy. Once in a while, a many-kilo-dollar benchrest single-shot action based rifle will come close to equalling what they've done.

As long as the action/receiver behaves the same for every shot, I don't think there's any accuracy difference between a single shot or box magazine repeater bolt action. With one exception; some competition require that new cartridges be used and a 4-lug or 3-lug or 2-wide-lug single shot actions will shoot new cartridges a bit more accurate. Reloaded cases in box magazine actions don't cause problems.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:16 AM

Again, thanks guys for the information, yes I'll stay with the repeater. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Best regards
Yibai
Old 11-27-2006, 12:41 PM

Hi,

And, welcome to the board!

C'ya, John.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh by the way, my friend also suggest to use one piece mount base, but Jim thinks at moment nobody makes them, is it possible to get one custom made?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you find any solution for a one piece scope rail?
Borden are making Davidson with 20moa on, but i want it in steel.....
Someone know if anybody that will/can make them in steel?