Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Silencers??!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 04:30 PM

Silencers??!

I have just bought a barrett 98B .338LAPUA MAGNUM,and am thinking of purchasing a silencer.does anyone know of a good manufacturer,and where I can buy one from?? I would also like to get some for my AR-15(5.56mm),springfield XD(.45),my glock(9mm),and sig sauer(.40)cal. I heard of gemtech,but would like to compare specs and pricing. Thanks,.338magnumshooter. Oh,by the way,does the silencer HELP,or HURT your accuracy??! I assume it would help,due to the extension of the barrel,but what do I know,LOL,again,THANKS...338magnumshooter.

Last edited by .338magnumshooter; 06-13-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: added questions
Old 06-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Silencers??!

Scroll to the bottom of this page and you'll see similar threads on silencers such as Gemtech, Jet, AWC, and SSK inustries as well as some discussion on prices and accuracy etc.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Bronze Member

Jet will probably be the lightest as it is made from titanium but be sure to get the one with the muzzle brake.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Silver Member

Silencers? no such thing. They are SUPPRESSORS.

Do they affect accuracy? yes.
Will you notice the difference at 100 yards? Not much.
WIll you notice a difference at 700 or 800 yards? yes

They do not aid by lengthening the barrel in the context that you are thinking. They do not have rifling, the are slightly larger than bore diameter, They extend the barrel but not the bore in that respect. They have an adverse effect on the gasses as they exit the bore. As a result, they do slightly, adversely affect the consistency of the P.O.I. But only slightly.

Since you are obviously uninformed on these, are you aware of the $200 tax on each plus the legal use and access requirements?
You may NEVER lend it to anyone. It must be in your possession or locked in a safe at all times. No one may have access to them when you are not home. Technically, no other person may have access to the safe (combo or keys) when you are not home. You will also need to set up a trust for all your type III items; not a legal requirement, but a definite must have for other reasons.

Last edited by A/C Guy; 06-27-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:42 PM
PUBLISHER

Paul has a great post over at Accurate Shooter.com that is the best help on the matter that I have seen. Also look at the website of the manufacturer he mentions. I may stop to visit them in Cheyenne next month. I have been thinking about a suppressor to reduce hearing loss risk in the case of forgetting to wear protection in the heat of the moment during a hunt.

The article mentions that MANY tactical competitors use suppressors and don't suffer in the accuracy area. I suppose not all suppressor brands are built as well in the area of accuracy -- just like barrels and other rifle components.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 06-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

Good read, lots of info on what it takes to acquire one. Thanks for posting the link Len.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:43 PM

Glad you guys liked the article. It seems like whenever I give Paul an article that has suppressors in the photos, he gets feedback like, "What, aren't those illegal?!". He thought an overview article on legality and relevance to precision/long-range shooting would be good, and it looks like it was well received.

Len, give Shane Coppinger a call at our shop number to arrange a demo when you're in town.

A/C Guy - I don't know your experience and I am not going to get into it here about suppressors and accuracy; however, what you claim has not been our experience with regard to accuracy. There some suppressor designs which do harm accuracy but there are also some either have no change (ie "harm" is unmeasurable) or increase accuracy. It would be frustrating to have a 1/4 moa rifle that opens up to 1/2 or 3/4 when the suppressor is screwed on. The TBAC owners are all long-range competitors we simply won't put up with a suppressor that harms accuracy.

best regards,
Zak