Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

++++Silencer/Suppresor++++ ????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

++++Silencer/Suppresor++++ ????????

What are the differences between a silencer and a suppresor ? Are they the same ? Which one would be better ? How are they built ? Or what kind of material are they made of ? What does the inside of one look like ? I saw one the other day and it was called a "Can" . I would like to know all I can about these different styles that are availible. Thanks for your insight....
Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 PM

Re: ++++Silencer/Suppresor++++ ????????

They are the same. Check out HTG silencers. Expensive and have to be registered. Small calibers are very quite. Larger calibers are a bit louder but still make a huge difference.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Owning a supressor/silencer legally all depends on what state you reside in. Here, it's a 10 year felony to possess and suppress.

Not saying you can't just don't get caught or be discrete. You can make a home brew one from an oil filter shoved over the muzzle and shot through the bottom in about 20 seconds for a couple bucks....

There are numerous ways to get into a supressor cheap but I'm not going into that because I'm not a potential felon.

All one has to have is a basic knowledge of machining and a lathe and some apporopriate stock.

Nothing inside a suppressor but sound attenuating material, sometimes spaced discs, sometimes discs and fiber packing material.

If they were legal to possess here, I'd just make my own and save the money.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
What are the differences between a silencer and a suppresor ? Are they the same ? Which one would be better ? How are they built ? Or what kind of material are they made of ? What does the inside of one look like ? I saw one the other day and it was called a "Can" . I would like to know all I can about these different styles that are availible. Thanks for your insight....
Suppressor, silencer, can, all the same thing. The correct term is suppressor.
There are many types of designs and they are made out of many different materials. Some use a stack of baffles and some use a mono core. The lovely ATF has decided we aren't allowed to own them without registration and them getting there cut so a supressor is classified as an NFA item. There is a $200 tax stamp that must be purchased for every transfer. I offen here others that have a false understanding the fee is annual. It isn't. If you can legally own a firearm you can legally own a suppressor. (providing you live in a suppressor friendly state.)

Speedy.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post

Also check out Phantom suppressors
Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Bronze Member

Check out Huntertown Arms. Unbelievable quality and ingenuity for 1/2 the price of inferior cans.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member

But....why pay even 10 bucks when a Fram Extraguard (can) costs about 3 bucks at Wallyworld and a home made adapter is a lathe turn away?

When it gets noisy, screw on another.....

Don't like the orange, paint it.

Don't ask me how I know they work 'cause I won't answer.

How about Pfffffffffffffffft.