Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Sightron Scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2003, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

Re: Sightron Scopes

Had 2 SII 36x42BRD sold them at the nationals and got 2 more Leupold 40ís .
I was not a fan of the eye relief and the field of view. The scopes seemed clear and crisp.

Stay with what works!
Old 09-23-2003, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

MM, I've used a Sightron for years in competition, and been pretty successful with it, and more than once have finished ahead of every other rig on the line, which sported far more expensive custom rifles and optics.

The Sniper Country review is crap, and the author cannot be identified, and they shouldn't even publish it. The Sightron mil-dot is most certainly "standard", once you determine what magnification corresponds to the mil-dot standard (of 3.6" at 100y) as you would have to do for ANY variable scope from ANY manufacturer. With Sightron, their variable scopes w/MD reticle equate to standard spacing near maximum magnification.

To correct another bit of misinformation in this thread, their lenses are FULLY Multicoated. Every air to glass lens surface gets at least five coats of their Zact-7 coating, equivalent to most better quality glass on the market.

My scope, although perhaps I got the only excellent product they ever built (but I doubt it) has 1/8 MOA adjustments and they do in fact equate to 8 clicks per inch at 100y. I shoot a grid to test it. The Sightron has the most repeatable adjustments of any scope I have ever used, including all of the better brands (except Nightforce which I don't own, because they are just too huge and heavy for me to willingly put one on my rifles). But Nikon, Weaver GS, B&L Elite, Leupold VX3 and Mark 4, I got 'em and use 'em and the Sightron bests them all in that category.

More than two thousand rounds of .308 fired in a VSSF (which weighs less than 11 pounds including scope/ring/bases/bipod).

I beat the Sightron drum pretty hard. Me and Gruff from Sniper's Hide are unofficial Sightron fan club vice-presidents. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

But that's because we *know* they perform. And lastly, eye relief is at least 3" (as advertised) and my scope has no parallax problem at any range. Maybe I DID get the only decent one they ever built! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

No, it's not for sale.

[ 09-23-2003: Message edited by: Nate Haler ]
Old 10-01-2003, 09:30 AM

I've been lurking on this board for a few weeks, and felt compelled to register in order to reply to this thread. I have one Sightron - a SII 3-12x50mm on a 6mm AI. I must say that I love the scope. I mounted it on a Rem LA using Warne bases and rings (not windage adjustable). I think milanuk just got a bad scope as far as the reticle being centered. I only had to make a few click adjustments to get mine sighted in. I have not checked to see if the adjustments are exact (supposed to be 1/4 min.), but by my measurements and adjustments when sighting in, they were close.

The lenses on the SII's are fully multi-coated, and the Sightron is bright and clear - comparable to a Vari-XIII 3.5-10x50mm that I own. I don't believe it is equal to the Leupold, but I believe it is the best-quality non-Leupold I have (I also have Weaver Grand Slam and B&L 4200).

I am building a 257 AI now, and I'm already committed to putting a SII 4.5-14x50mm on it.

Obviously, I'm not in to the long-range game yet, but I'm trying to learn. I have found this site to be very informative. I understand that the long-range shooter needs very precise scope adjustments, and I'm not saying that the Sightrons are precise enough for 600 or 1,000 yard shooting. My only experience so far has been at 100 and 200 yards (give me a break, I said I'm trying to study up on long range before I jump into it).
Old 10-01-2003, 05:53 PM

I have a sightron 24 power target scope on a 280ai that i shoot from 500 to 1000 yards regulary and out to 1500 yards occasionally. The clicks are very repeatable and the optics are good.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

study by putting bullets downrange. that is where you will learn. go have fun and bust some caps.

Good luck

BH
Old 10-05-2003, 10:27 PM

see my review of the SIII 3.5-10X44MD in the optics section. It's still in progress.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:27 AM
Bronze Member

6-24 target versionon s 300 rum sendro no problem with eye relief, optics as good or better than gold ring, and for the money a very good scope. A little history I dropped my rig over 40 feet( my own fault)of a ledge. Dinged the bell abit a few markes on the surface a chip out of the stock. Test fired it a bit off target one quick adjustment back on and ready to go.

I amnot saying that the scope is the end all be all but having owned and payed for much more exspensive scope I am sold. Never had any problems with running the clicks very postive. Unlike a few others.