Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Sightron Scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2003, 01:01 AM

Sightron Scopes

I am considering purchasing a Sightron Mil-Dot Scope for my 300 mag Weatherby rifle. Does anyone have information or experience about these scopes.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: Sightron Scopes

I have looked trough some in the store but I don't own one. They Look OK. BUT I have no experiance with them.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:09 AM
Bronze Member

Montana Medic,

I, like you, wasn't too sure about the Sightron Scopes until I tried them. I recently purchased the Sightron 6-24 X Series II Sightron Scope for my long range rifle - a Remington Sendero 7mm RUM.

Since, I am still working it up, I can't tell you how well it's performed for me long range wise. But I can tell you the general stuff that I liked about the scope.

First, mine came with a free sunshade - which I liked. The Adjustable Objective on the front of the scope has adjustment for really close shooting. Not important for LR shooting but unique to any scope I've ever owned. The 1/8 inch click adjustments were a little different than the 1/4 for me to get used to but they were very crisp and clean. The target knobs are lower profile than most with an easy-to-use slip adjustment for your zero. Eye relief is good for my 7 Ultra Mag. The lens are very clear with a full field of view (no rim shadow). The power adjustment was just stiff enough and not sloppy. The target turrets have a rubber gasket at the bottom which the adjustment covers bed into when you screw them down making it quiet and supposedly more waterproof.

Before purchasing this scope I contacted Sightron's service department via their e-mail to ask them a few questions. They were vague and not really helpful on technical questions. I asked the following:

Q: Are your lenses used in other scopes like Leupold, Burris, Tasco, etc. (some people rumor that the lenses are the same as Leupolds).
A: We manufacture our own lenses

Q: Your competition, Bushnell advertises that their Elite Series Scopes are put through several thousand rounds of 375 H & H firings as part of their recoil testing, what recoil testing do you do for your Sightron Scopes?
A: I don't believe their advertisements are for each and every scope. Though they may advertise this type of recoil testing I doubt if it helps in scope quality and performance and keep the scopes out of the repair shop which I hear is pretty big. Our scopes are used on all calibers.

Q: Where are your scopes manufactured and assembled?
A: Japan

There were a few other questions, I asked but this gives you an idea of their customer service department. Probably some person who hasn't even shot one of their scopes. Regardless, I am pleased with the scope and would recommend it to anyone. The only improvement I can see is perhaps more scope adjusment and FULLY MULTI-COATED lenses instead of the multi-coated lenses. What's the difference? Fully Mult-coated lenses have coating on both sides of each piece of glass, where as multi-coating have coating on the surface of the lens exposed to the shooter. The more lens surfaces that are coated the better the clarity and light transmission.

Hope this helps. I really like my Sightron Scope for LR shooting.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:08 PM

I have a Sightron 2, 6 x 24 on my HVY Benchrest gun, 1/8" clicks 40/44mm Obj. I only purchased it after I was told that the guy that designed Leupold vari-x 3's left the company and started Sightron. I find the scope to be reliable, 1 click and I get 1 click of movement. I have fired 6 single digit groups this season, best being a high 5" w/96 score. I guess the scope is doing it's job. Good luck and safe shooting........ [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

I like the clarity of Sightron's, and their over the counter warranty...however I do not like their eye relief. I would never suggest anyone putting them on a magnum unless it was braked. The one's I've looked through (many many many, as I work in a sporting good store), I have to snug up so close to them that I wouldn't be able to put them on a magnum without getting bit across the eyebrow upon firing. But, there have been a few that had about 3" of ER....but the majority just had about 2".
Old 09-05-2003, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

Anybody out there besides me have trouble getting the SII6-24x42 models adjusted parallax free at higher magnifications (like above 12-14x or so)? The other problem I have w/ them is that while they are quite accurate as far as movements, the ones I've tinkered w/ were not a true 1/8MOA (i.e. ~0.125" per click) but more like 0.150 per click @ 100yds. Doesn't sound like much until you start trying to do the mental gymnastics to figure out the # of clicks needed to get on target at longer ranges.

Final issue I have w/ the ones I've shot is that the optics are not centered in the tube. I.e. if I center the windage and elevation, the scope is off close to 15 minutes to one side. Since I usually use Weaver/Picatinny style mounts, I can't afford to lose that much adjustment just to get the darn scope zeroed (along w/ the associated loss of elevation because the windage isn't in the center of the tube). And no, it's not on just one gun. I tried it out on 3 or 4 guns, which normally wore a Tasco SS10x42, a Weaver V-16, and Leupold LR/T 8.5-25x50mm scopes. Same results. Using Redding type scope bases (manufactured by leupold) I could jack the rear base over enough to compensate, but then I lost the other advantages of the Weaver system I was using.

I got the original scope on a trade, exchanged it thru a local dealer, talked a fair amount w/ a tech at Sightron, and am now considering taking this one back as well. Maybe I'll hit the lottery and get one that works as advertised.

YMMV,

Monte
Old 09-06-2003, 03:18 AM

I want to thank all of you for your input and information. I don't believe I will be acquiring a Sightron Scope, after reading the reviews here and on Siper Country. The main reason I wanted a Mil-Dot scope is for range finding, not to take a math class and carry a calculator. Has some of you have mentioned the Sightron Mil-Dot Scope is not a true Mil-Dot, and it appears that alot of time and math is involved in the ranging process and a little short on the MOA adjustment [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

[ 09-06-2003: Message edited by: Montana Medic ]

[ 09-06-2003: Message edited by: Montana Medic ]