Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Shooting Rest from Lone Star Field Products

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Shooting Rest from Lone Star Field Products

I have been shooting the bigger model called the Spec-Rest and am very impressed with the results. The Spec-Rest is a bigger unit, based on a very sturdy tripod. The rifle is secured into front and read holders and three controls are available for aiming. First there is a lever on the central stem that controls horizontal movement. This lever locks hard when you need to steady-up the rest. The other two handles control vertical movement - one enables large amount of movements quickly, and the other is a super-fine dial that lets you split hairs. After some practice I began shooting groups that I did not think possible from the standing position. Best three-shot group at 100 yards was 0.609", had two more under the inch mark.

This is a precision shooting rest, the best I have ever shot standing position from. Will work for kneeling/sitting also but I have not tried yet.

Not light, not small. About 28 pounds so it is for hides and blinds. Could also be used from a pickup, after seeing a critter one guy could get it out of the truck and set it up while the other guy lasers and gets his rifle ready.

Plan on taking it on a Montana p-dog shoot shortly, will be interesting to test it on long shots.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: Shooting Rest from Lone Star Field Products

Ian ,
If you Beg eeeeerrr ask me I could make you a M.O.A.G. rest (It work's better than I thought)
B
Old 05-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

Brian,
The way you guys shoot that rest has to be good!! I will contact you re plans, makes more sense to get an idea of how to build one than to figure how to get one up here. Plus, I am still trying to master the Lone Star rests [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Thank you for the kind offer, much appreciated!
Old 05-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Bronze Member

Ian M, how many stabilizers do you attach? I have 4 on mine and it really makes a difference. May also get the last two plus the base for bench work. Did you get the adjustible front windage rest also. Totally set up the package is not cheap but worth every US dollar. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Dave
Old 05-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

Take a look at Richard on the Wildcat Bullet site.He needs one and would love to have one.It would make a big difference in bullet developement.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Budman,
I have stabilizers on the front section, do you think that a pair on the rear would make a significant difference in stability. Sure enjoy shooting off the rest, taking the stand-up one on a black bear hunt, hope to make a long shot from a ground blind next week.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:28 PM

The stabilizers are called "Shot Shocks", if you put two in the rear it tremendously holds not only the main portion of the weight but it will extremely hold any vibration or harmonics out of the rest. They are extremely helpful for those who have "heart beat" or scope bounce issues . If you add up to six it forces arms to always be in parallel;)