Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

shooting rest for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2005, 07:32 AM
Gold Member

shooting rest for hunting

Gentlemen,
What do you guys use for a stable shooting rest while out hunting? I'm thinking most use a bipod. I want to know what make, model and length your using as well as do you guys use the swivel model or the standard non swivel. If you use something else I'd like to know that too. So let me know what your system for getting stable is.. Pictures welcome too. Thanks
Old 06-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Silver Member

Re: shooting rest for hunting

Harris bipods, no doubt. Depends on the terrain as to the length. A 13"-25", I think this is the correct length, is what I like. Being tall, I can use it prone and I can use it for sitting position. I took a antelope @ 452 yards last August from sitting w/ a bipod, so they are stable.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Boman,

Where I generally hunt there is not alot of ground cover and I generally hunt in an ambush situation where I scout the animals and then set up to intercept them as they move from bedding areas to feeding area. Shots are generally quite long at times.

I use the Harris 9-13" bipod as I shoot prone nearly 100% of the time. This bipod has allowed me to take game out to 610 yards with total confidence in teh stability of the shot.

If your hunting in areas with more ground clutter, I agree the taller models will serve better but the taller you get, the more stability you loose. It is not alot but it is noticable.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Bronze Member

Harris swivel bipod 6"-9" and a sand sock/beanbag under the butt. I had the 9"-13" first but found that when shooting prone it put me too far up on my elbows, and I could not stay in that position for extended periods. That being said I have a good friend who is thicker through the chest than I am and he uses a 9"-13" with no problems. My advice is find someone who has one and try it in a field position. See how it feels, if it is high or not high enough, can you stay in that position for extended periods. Don't make the same mistake I did and grab the one that most people use, everyone is different and you may find that another model may be the one for you.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:43 AM
Gold Member

Ok Thank you guys.

Kirby do you have the swivel mode or the fixed style of Harris.

I have the Tony Diebold shooting "sticks" They are alot like the pole cat things I see on tv. it adjust from like 25" to 48. So for cluttered areas I would use it. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:44 PM

Remember the 5-P's.
I have a 9-13inch bipod on my rifle, carry shooting sticks in my patrol pack, and use my pack for a rear rest for shots on the longish side. Hell, most of the time I carry two rifles. A short carbine for close fast shots and a long range rig for precision work. You never, never know.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Gold Member

Bravo,
You carry two rifles for hunting? Wow man. Thanks for the input.