Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Sendero and Defensive Edge brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

Sendero and Defensive Edge brake

Wanted to post as a thanks to Shawn. I recently purchased a Sendero in 300wm. I sent it to Shawn of Defensive Edge to put one of his brakes on. He did the work when he said he would, at a great price. And, it looks great.

Finally got a scope mounted and got to shoot today. The brake works great. Turned the 300wm into a 243, maybe less.

It got windy. So, I didn't get to see how the rifle shot. Damn good lookin' rig though, with a nice feal.

Thanks Shawn, Lorenzo
Old 03-03-2007, 06:23 AM
Gold Member

Re: Sendero and Defensive Edge brake

I to just purchased a Sendero. A used 338 RUM and it definitely needs a brake. Been putting KDF brakes on my rifles, they seem to work just fine. Been hearing quite a bit bout the Defensive Edge brake, maybe I'll give it a try. What kind ot turn around did Shawn give you.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

once you shoot a gun with a "good brake" then you'll want your money back from the KDF's
Old 03-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Ditto on JDJones comments!! No comparision.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Gold Member

Just looking around on his site. There seems to be a variety, which one do you recommend.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Depends on the contour of your barrel...Most either like the Holland or the Defensive Edge brakes. They seem to take the most recoil away. After all, thats what you want.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

The baffle style brakes are more efficent than the ones with the holes , and their are some differant styles of both some have several chamberes and some only have one. I reciantly had a 260 built by Nate Dagley and I chose his brake over several others because of the desgine , his has baffles that are shaped like a V so that they actualy have more surface area to help "strip" off the gas , this brake should work better than a regular baffle style brake at least IN THEORY because of the increased surface area. I have yet to shoot it but I'm sure with the weight of the gun and the caliber with the brake it shoulden't move much if any. You can see Nate's brake on his web page thats in my signature box below.

I'm not taking anything away from Shawn's brake as I'm sure it works great , just in my little mind the V-port desgine should be more efficent.

Alot also hase to do with the round thats being shot through it , for instance a 308 and a 30-378wby build on the exact same guns , if the measue the recoil of each without a brake and then with a brake the 308 will have a lower percentage of recoil that was reduced meaning that the brake "seems" less effective , this is due the massive amout of gas thats produced with the big weatherby case , their is so much more gas = recoil to be stripped off by the brake that its going to have a greater percintage of recoil reduced.

after reading that it doesen't make nearly as much sense as it did when I was typing it , sorry [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]