Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Seeking advice on Long Range Rifle Construction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Seeking advice on Long Range Rifle Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
Respectfully disagree ridge rider, I don't know what the Australian dollar is worth, or the difficulty of importation, or shooting situation is down there so maybe your advice is sound locally. Here without leaving the desk Cabelas gun library has a nice nearly new FN PBR in 308 for $895, CS Tactical shows several Vortex scopes in the $500 range, $300 bucks will get you 500 rounds of loaded ammo. local rifle club has loaner spotting scopes. Another range has steel to a 1000 yards, $1700 and you have an entry level setup you can enjoy for quite a bit. At this point a new shooter is playing and learning, and deciding how far he wishes to pursue this hobby.
For $13000 I coud put together a pretty nice set up, and take it to Africa for plains game.
More good shots are made than born, and that making process usually includes entry level equipment. We acquire better along the way. Is there high dollar stuff out there I ooh and ahh over absolutely, but $13000 or go home ? It's not that bad yet!
+1

In my earlier response I went with being snarky. Your response is much better and what I was really thinking.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

I'm just sitting here thinking about a kid that showed up at our hunting camp maybe 15 years ago with a surplus 303 British and desire. He's turned into a fine young man, and a pretty decent shot. He's moved on to other teachers as he's passed us by, but it's been fun to watch.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

read and learn:

Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget

I have built 2 fine shooting rifles following this recipe , well within your budget, and you do not have to be a whiz bang riflesmith to do it. AJ
Old 11-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Gold Member

shooting at 1000yds and hunting at 1000 yds are completly different subjects.

for shooting at that distance, an appropriate rifle, ammunition and other misc. equiptment along with ability are the only requirments.

hunting on the other hand requires all of the above along with the proper equiptmant for finding game, ranging it etc. etc.
its also important to know if youve hit the animal youve been shooting at.
they dont always just fall over after youve hit them at distance even with an expensive custom rifle.
that means having a buddy who can spot for you.

so just owning the rifle would be akin to owning the steering wheel to a race car.
if youve already been practicing shooting at distance, i would suggest finding somone who hunts long range.
work on getting invited to go along even if only for varmit hunts.
at the very least start with varmits even if doing it on your own.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

WOW! i know it's been addressed already but $13k or go play with dolls? i'd have never gotten into shooting if that were the reality of it. i'm guessing there are very few guys on here that have that much in one rig: i sure don't. learning to shoot long range is absolutely not about $. (although it can be)

i'm not sure what your shooting background is nor do i consider myself the "guru" with all the answers. but if you're just starting out i would highly recommend something along the lines of a 22-250 or even the .223. either of these calibers are easy to shoot and are capable of reaching to 5-600yds. being easy to shoot may be the most important thing for someone to learn to shoot longer distance. developing a flinch and not shooting comfortably will hamper your progress of reaching out farther. personally i would get a less expensive gun in the short run and figure out what you REALLY want in a custom.

maybe i'm not giving you enough credit but i guarantee that learning to shoot those smaller calibers to start with will do more for you than ANY custom rifle. starting out you will be amazed at how much pleasure you can take from being able to see your hits because of the low recoil which will build confidence which results in skill.

if i were holding your hand i'd suggest a heavy barrel savage 22-250. learn to load. get a decent scope; the nikon you mentioned would be great to learn with. and when you're ready to get more advanced the gun and scope can be sold for almost as much as you paid for them. honestly custom guns for new shooters are like F1 racing cars for someone with a learners permit.

i hope this post moves forward in a productive way. good luck.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:38 PM

im new on here and i did a post yesterday about a project..BUt i am not new to shooting...i worked for a custom rifle shop loading and shooting the new "toys".. i picked up a .270 yesterday with a fn mauser action made in belgium for 300 bucks..new barrel for it will run about 325..chamber and thread another 200 so for 825 i now have A custom rifle..it already has an aftermarker trigger in it so that saved 125...i can pick up a nice zeiss scope for 900. so now my total is 1725..thankfully i have reloading equipment so im not out that also..my advice is find a nice new or used rifle for under 500 and build as you can afford it