Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Seeking advice on custom rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 03:11 PM

Seeking advice on custom rifle

I am fairly new to long range hunting, and custom rifles. I am looking to buy my first rifle and after some research I found this rifle which I believe is a good overall caliber with enough power to take elk or other large animals at long ranges. I am currently in the process of buying reloading equipment so that is not a problem and this would also allow me to bring down the power of the ultra mag for whitetail every once in a while. I would like to know what you think of this setup by red hawk rifles. If I were to buy this rifle I do plan in getting a jewel trigger. Please help as this is a Christmas present for myself and I want to make sure it's worth it.

REM 700 SS ALASKAN 300 RUM MB TI CLONE SUB MOA : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com
Old 12-03-2011, 06:17 PM

Re: Seeking advice on custom rifle

Anybody???
Old 12-09-2011, 01:00 PM

man like you i am new to long range hunting, but i have been 350 yard and less hunting since before i can remember. i have owned a model 700 in the 7mm mag version for 6 or 7 years and i love it i have had no trouble out of it. mag brother owns a similar model to mine and he loves it. i convinced a friend to buy the same gun as mine and he loves it my dad has my same gun but it is about 20 years old and still shoots like the day it was bought. he also has the 700 in a 300 win mag i have shot it a few times. it packs a wallop but i like the gun. as far as long range stuff i am of no help, but gun quality its great.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

You said this would be your "first rifle", My opinion is that a 300Rum is a bit much for a first rifle.

Getting a bunch of trigger time before you get such a hard kicking caliber, would be my recommendation.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-09-2011, 08:39 PM

I settled for the 300 RUM because I thought it was a good overall caliber to hunt almost all species I could encounter plus offer good long range ballistics. I put this post to see if you guys thought the "custom" work was worth the extra money. I am however planning on getting a 308 in the future which will allow me to spend a lot of time behind the trigger after this hunting season.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

OK,

My personal opinion on the rifle in the link.

1) Rem 700 is my favorite action.
2) Sako extractor only helps.
3) Stock is fine.
4) Stainless is good.
5) I don't care for radial Muzzle Brakes, because they throw dust when shot from the prone position.

Other than the Muzzle Brake, That would be a fine rifle for most long range work.

Hope that helps,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-09-2011, 08:57 PM

Thanks for your opinion.