Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

scope receiver holes not square

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

scope receiver holes not square

I'm mounting a vortex viper on a savage 111 LRH and noticed after zeroing my windage is ALMOST MAXED OUT and have a shadow of the objective bell with proper eye relief.
Now when I mount scopes the receiver is leveled and strapped down then square the one piece base mount rings and scope square level and plumb with a plumb bob( plumb line) at 40 yards so im sure the every thing is square level and plumb.
I switched rings front to back, replaced the base with different brand base no help at all. So either the base holed or the barrel ( maybe the brake) is crooked.
So ive decided to go with Burris zee rings.
My question is once I center my reticle to the rifle impact grouping zerro the scope is no longer square with the bore? How will this effect my ballistic charts when it askes for scope cant? And how will this effect my dial ups after 300 yards or so?
Any help or info very much appreciated.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:43 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

If you did a live fire zero, then most likely the barrel is installed crooked, or barrel vibration is throwing your shots off of bore sight, or both. I see these issues often in production rifles. Crooked base installation seems unlikely.

You can diagnose what's out of alignment by using an 18" metal ruler. Place the ruler along one side of the receiver with 12" or so extending beyond the barrel nut. Holding the ruler flat against the receiver, measure the distance between the end of the ruler and the barrel. Now repeat this measurement on the other side of the receiver. If the two measurements are not equal, the barrel is installed crooked. You can then calculate the angular offset.

Be sure to buy Burris Signature Zee rings. You will probably need to use offset inserts on the from and back rings to correct the misalignment.

Regardless of how the scope is installed, you won't have a canting problem if you use an anti-cant indicator that is accurately aligned to the turret axes, You may have a range dependent aiming error, which you can eliminate using the Reticle Alignment Tool that HighPowerOptics sells. That tool also has a very accurate spirit level.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent

Last edited by bruce_ventura; 10-18-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Gold Member

Re: scope receiver holes not square

another option would be to use a leupold or redfield base and ring setup.
the windage error could be adjusted with the windage adjustment in the base
itself to a point where the scope adjustment is centered. it would be less
complicated for the average individual than fooling around with the scope shims and wouldnt be affected in the event you decided to remove or change scopes. every gun dosent require a piccatiny base and ring setup. some of the older ones still work very well and possibly better in cases like this one.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Silver Member

Regardless of how the scope is installed, you won't have a canting problem if you use an anti-cant indicator that is accurately aligned to the turret axes, You may have a range dependent aiming error, which you can eliminate using the Reticle Alignment Tool that HighPowerOptics sells. That tool also has a very accurate spirit level.[/QUOTE]
I use Darrel Hollands cant indicators on all my scopes. I orderrd Zee signature 30mm rings last nite. There is no way im putting the leopold windage bases on anything.
I've been researching but to be sure do the 30mm burris zee signature rings come with one set or two sets of bias inserts and the regular inserts?
Old 10-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

The rings that you ordered come with two sets of offset inserts.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 10-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Silver Member

Excellent, thank you.

I just can not stand when my equipment isn't square with the world.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

It's fairly common problem with Savage and Remington actions. My understanding is that it comes from warping due to the heat treating process.

There are two ways to fix it. Fix it with adjustable rings (Burris Signatures or windage adjustable rears), or send it to SSS and have Fred straighten it in his jig.