Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Scope Covers for Nightforce with 56mm Objective?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

A Scopecoat does not come off easily nor fast. It is made from the same kind of neoprene foam that wet suits are made from. Its chief advantages is that it is a buffer layer between the scope and any other objects and no snow is going to get into it.

A Scopecoat does not fly open unexpectedly exposing your lens to all manner of mischief. I have flip open covers for some scopes but the kindest words I can say for them is that they cost too much money to just throw away as junk but they are just an endless irritation.

A Scopecoat is not what I would recommend for actual stalking through heavy brush, but then I don't do that anyway. If I have to go though heavy brush then I forget about hunting and just get through the brush with a minimum of racket but I never expect to see an animal under those conditions.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info Buffalobob. I actually am not stalking, I usually hike about 2 hours from the cabin each morning to the area I hunt. Then I sit and wait for the elk and deer to move to the opposing hillside (700-1200 yards). Either way, I appreciate the info.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Scope Covers for Nightforce with 56mm Objective?

Hunters have faced a real challenge regarding the best solution to field-practical scope covers but the ScopeShield neoprenes, which are the only ones with the keeper loop and instant field release, solve it. Developed originally in drippy-wet Oregon, and made in Oregon and Alaska, I have never seen anything approaching them for simplicity, effectiveness, speed, and practicality. Bob Hart at rwhart.com has them, or they may be found by googling scopeshield neoprenes or scopeshield alaska.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Bronze Member

There is a major difference between ScopeCoats and ScopeShields. ScopeShields are intended specifically for hunting use, with instant release and a unique keeper loop that keeps it from ever falling from the rifle. ScopeCoats are excellent for the rack.

Outfitters and guides definitely prefer the ScopeShields. You can try googling scopeshield alaska or scopeshield neoprenes to look at them closely.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

I can get you a Butler creek objective cover that's an 56.40mm I use a butler creek on my leupold and it works great I will never have a scope without it. I only wish it was see through.

Bigbuck
Old 10-10-2009, 05:47 PM

These scope covers are 20.5" long and I have made them up to 24" long at the customers request.

FWIW,
Stu

Old 04-06-2012, 02:27 PM

Butler flip up caps are not applicable on the NightForce scopes. The eyepiece rotates when you change magnification which then causes the open cover to rotate and create distraction and also block the spirit level should you have one installed.
Have not found a solution to this. Using a bikini rubber cover for now.
Anyone else have a product reference to solve this issue?