Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

SAVAGE Rifles - who uses them

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-07-2008, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member
I did a preliminary break in for my rifle, then decided to pull the action out of the stock to see if The trigger was set as low as possible and see if there were any other easy improvements. These rifles are advertized as dual pillar bedded in their stocks. THere is a recoil luc and just behind that are two slots that would house pillars running parallel to eachother, but there were no pillars. Is this normal? any advice?
I used to re-load but now I "hand-load".
-- Well, at least I try --

Unread 02-07-2008, 07:34 AM
I've been shooting a new Savage Long Range Precision Varminter for about 2 weeks now,and to say I'm impressed with the gun would be an understatement! It's has the Target Accu Trigger (factory set at 8oz. will go down to two oz.) Mono Block bedding in a HS Precision stock,26inch long 1 inch diamenter bull barrel (no taper). The gun is a tack driver! And I haven't even found a pet load for it yet (.223cal). It has a 1-9 twist,and seems to prefer the heavier bullets (69gr. HPBT Match) so far. Ron
Unread 02-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Silver Member
Very impressive. I read a review on those target savages that wasn't too good, that one is shooting great!

Unread 02-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Yeah,I've heard of a couple that didn't shoot well,and were sent back to Savage,then returned with a proof target,and list of what was done to the gun. They shot fine after being sent back. May have been a bad barrel? Ron
Unread 02-17-2008, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
I like the fact that I can swap barrels out,though to be honest, I usually use the barrel that is on at the time and very seldom switch barrels in the field.

I recently ordered a Savage LRPV in .22-250, 1-9" twist. Was wondering what the procedure is to replace a barrel. I assume that you would use a go-no go gauge.
NRA Life Member
Unread 02-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Basically if you have herculean strength, the nut pops loose. (it's only hard the first time, from the factory) You take the nut off, unscrew your barrel, put your go gauge or piece of brass in the bolt, screw your new barrel in until it contacts the gauge or brass, if it's an Ackley cartridge you might want it tight since the brass will shorten. If you have a no-go gauge make sure it won't close on it, then put your nut on and tighten it, but not near as tight as it is from the factory, I was told to go about as tight as you can with your hands.
Unread 02-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member
Be warned thier addicting,since this photo another J single shot(the predisesor to the LRPV) has ben added and a 338 EDGE is in the works
Yep the right way to do it is to have the nut wrench, a barrel vise,an action wrench and a set of go-nogo gauges. I get buy with a dull rounded off chisel, hammer and a resized case, it has worked good for the dozen or so barrel changes I've done.
Be advised though that your LRPV has a different screw spacing and larger threads than the older Savages that are much more available. Your choices of stocks and barrels is somewhat limited at this point.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein (1879-1955)