Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

SAVAGE Rifles - who uses them

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Gold Member

Re: SAVAGE Rifles - who uses them

Jim Briggs who post as Northlander over at Savage Shooters forum has some RBLP actions with 6 oz trigger comming in in a few weeks. Link below.
Savage actions.
If anyone is interested he has prices posted so I won't post them here.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

The savages were the first real projects I got into with changing out barrels and such. I have built several guns on them all were 110 actions. I have used pre-fit barrels from Pac-Nor,Shilen,Sharp Shooters Supply,Kevin Rayhill , E.R. Shaw , Lothar Walther and I have fitted a few myself setup like the Rem's , all shot very well. One of my favorite things to do was buy a heavy 223 1-9 twist barrel then rechamber it to 22-250 Ai , they all shot the 69gr SMK awsome especialy if you firelapped them first as a 223.

I have used triggers from SSS , and Rifle basix both with awsome resluts. I got to talk to Kevin Rayhill at length about "timing" the Savage actions and got the whle idea down and did it to a few but never realy saw where it was that big of a gain to accuracy.
The Prefit barrel from Shilen that Brownells offers is a great deal I bought one , a #7 conture in 308 that would shoot just about all loads under an inch and it was easy to find loads with bullet from 155 to 210 that would shoot under 1/2moa out to 500yds , the barrel I got was acctualy chambered pretty tight and would have a stiff bolt close on factory ammo.

All in all I think that for the money the Savage/Stevens actions are realy hard to beat for a low budget build. I'm still not realy crazy about the seperate "floating" bolt head but I realy can't find fault with it. and it can't be that bad as from the pics I've seen its the exact same desgine that Armalite uses on their big 50 BMG bolts.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Bounty,
No doubt you are correct, I saw one at the SHOT show and it was very interesting. Didn't kow you shoot Savages, I hope to get into one shortly.

Really like the handling of that varminter with the HS Precision stock, only problem it is not available in .308 Win.

Great info guys, I forwarded this link to Savage, they may be reading and learning from you all!
Old 02-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Bronze Member

If Savage arms might be reading this, let me add:

Please bring back the classy bolt handle that my old 112R has (turns out it is an "R" model, not a "V").

The knob that you are using now with the impressed checkered panel cheapens the look and feel of the action.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Bronze Member

I would like to see there bolt knob look more appealing too. But it is easy to do something with it. Or change it out. I did this to my 257 Roberts and thought it came out better than it was. Just ground it flat and polished it.

I cross drilled the BVSS knob just for something to do.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...9/PICT0052.jpg
Old 03-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Bronze Member

Been a custom Savage shooter for many years but, just thought to let you guys know, that Savage will mix and match any components they manufacture in order to build a gun for you, that isn't currently in their product line.

This is not custom shop prices rather, putting together what you want, from what they manufacture.

If this is something that will help you get the Savage you want, Contact Effie Sullivan at: 413-568-7001 (at Savage) for more information.

I had recently contacted Brian Herrick V.P. marketing and sales for Savage and this is the path (or a possible path) for what you may want from factory parts, that they don't combine and offer.

regards

Paul Prochko
Old 03-06-2007, 04:45 AM
Bronze Member

Ian,
Actions
1-200 Stevens long, 1-110 Savage cut for short action magazine.

Bolts
4 with additional bolt heads.

Barrels
223,22-250,243,25-06,270wsm,300wm(1 sporter & 1 heavy fluted).

Stocks all factory 1 each total of 4
Wood and synthetic sporter, laminate and synthetic varmit.

If not already together, I can setup for any type of shooting or hunting I do in minutes.

DK