Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

SAVAGE Rifles - who uses them

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2007, 05:01 AM
Platinum Member

Re: SAVAGE Rifles - who uses them

I sure like the stock on that top one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I should have never got rid of it

Old 02-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Silver Member

Ian, if you want you can shoot some of mine the next time you are home. I have have a 17HMR BVSS, Model 40 Single shot 22 hornet, Model 12 LRPV 204 Ruger, Model 12 FV 243, Model 112 6mmAI BVSS and a Model 10MLBSS-II. I also have the perfect platform for you to experience savage for yourself. I have a LRPV action and HS precision stock that I would like to sell. Let me know if you want to meet up some time at the range.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Ya its a great PD stock,you can swap barrels easy and EVERTHING is freefloated.
Tempted to send it to Joel and have him duplicate it and put a hook on it too.Sooner or later I'm gona do a barrel block useing this design.
The bottom stock was one of them cheap laminants from Sportsmansguide,the plywood was so bad I just painted it.The forearm is quite a bit lighter or I would have clipped the top of of it too...and still might if I deside to liten it up for a sporter.They also have barrel Kits for sale.Great for someone just getting into Savages and barrel swapping.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Bronze Member

When I started hunting I shunned the cheap look of the savage with it's straight, cheaply knurled bolt knob, crappy tupperware stock, and rediculous barrel nut.

It took me 4 years to pull my head out and shoot a few. My target/varmint/tactical comp/GO TO rifle is now a savage. It SHOOTS, it's simple, it's durable and it's inexpensive. Those are my requirements and the Savage fits the bill.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Bronze Member

I have always used Wins. & Rems., but recently scored a great deal on an older Savage 110V. I put an EABCO 12 twist 308 barrel on it (myself), and it is now my most accurate rifle (that is both good, and bad).

In looking over the 110 carefully, I am beginning to think that they really have a lot to offer. Here are a couple of points:
1. Excellant gas shielding (better than Win & Rem)
2. Mechanically secured bolt handle (unlike Rem)
3. Durable bolt stop mechanism (unlike Rem)
4. Durable and easily replaceable extractor (unlike Rem)
5. The bolt lugs have cocking cams (unlike Rem)
6. Easily replaceable bolt head (in case you burn it)
And best of all...
7. You can rebarrel yourself! (no 3 month wait with all of the packing & shipping)

The only downside I have found is the plastic mag. follower, and that the magazine feeds from sheetmetal lips. But these concerns are strictly cosmetic, and the parts actually funtion very well.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

6mm Shooter,
I would like to see those rifles some time - little too crisp to meet at a range right now tho. I have hunts in the warm air coming up, have to get out of Sask. any opportunity I get these days.

I plan on experiencing just how well out of the box rifles shoot, will be getting a .308 Win this summer hopefully. Need some pictures and info for some writing I have to do.

All the Savagers
Understand that Shilen is going to offer some excellent Savage ready-to-go barrels shortly - that will be interesting. Shilen barrels shoot!

Really appreciate all the info you guys are sharing - THANKS, and keep it coming. Haven't heard from Jerry Teo yet, hint, hint.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:32 PM

6mm shooter, how do you like your model 40? I have been seriously thinking about getting one. I am particularly interested to hear if you have tried any of the hornady factory loads with the 35 grain v-max's. I have heard some other folks say that the model 40 does not like the lighter, faster bullets very much. Thanks.