Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

SAVAGE Rifles - who uses them

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

SAVAGE Rifles - who uses them

Sure like to hear some stories about your Savages. Triggers, barrels, stocks - pros and cons.
Have you "Savagers" heard about the new 1/2 pound Accutrigger? How about the new 6.5-284 F-Class rifle, 30 inch barrel? Ejection ports on left side?
Interested to learn about this rifle.
Do you switch barrels regularly, understand this is a unique feature of this rifle action.
Anyone shooting the McMillan A3 stocked factory Tactical?
What aftermarket parts work best - particularly stocks, mounts and triggers?
Which stocks are stiff enough for Harris Bipods? No doubt the laminated heavier stocks are.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: SAVAGE Rifles - who uses them

I mostly use and shoot all savage rifles. Savages get a bad rap because most people but on cheap barrels and cut cost on every corner. I am truing all my savage custom rifles to remington standards. I am recutting the threads facing the action, reboring the bolt way, truing the lugs, truing the bolt face and then adding a pacific tool and gauge spiral fluted bolt, a thousand's under what the bolt race is reamed to. Making a trued action. Sharp shooter supply makes a nice after market recoil lug. And the accu- triggers can be made very light with a little polishing. I use savages for all my comp guns and never feel under gunned. I also have a 40 x remington and in my world it is no better than a savage with a little work. Savage actions also can be made to be as slick as a remington . I think with savage putting out the new rblp acttions and target shooter oriented calibers that there bad rep with go away with every trophy won. In our local 500 yard ground hog shoots the savage heavy barrel 223 is the gun to beat. Sorry to ramble but I love savages and hate the undeserived bad rap they recieve.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Gold Member

I can only tell about two they are 300 rum mod 116 weather warrior models the stock could be a little better the trigger on mine 12oz. other 15oz. not accu trigger models.
Both will shoot bug holes, have shot sub 2" groups at 635yds
several 1 hole groups at 100yds and 200yds, which of course they have the selectable brake and are a pleasure to shoot.If a high percentage are like these two I would highly recommend them for long range but these are the only ones I have seen in action... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2007, 12:04 AM

Ian,
Savage's out of the box accuracy is better than most. I can't say for sure why. Stocks used to be inletted 2x4s but have greatly improved. The Accutrigger is so good I heard( rumor only) at Shotshow last year big green tried to buy mfg. rights. Floating bolthead gives even contact on the lugs. interchangible boltheads make switchbarrels interesting. Downside to the bolt is more parts in it than in some complete firearms.
Plus....Employee owned company....makes the workforce give a shoot. Just my .02
Old 02-04-2007, 12:05 AM
Silver Member

Ya, what they said goes for me too. I love mine and I have Remingtons, Rugers and Marlins too. Fred at SSS will do ya right. Also, I like the Rifle Basix triggers all to hell for all my guns. SSS also has a great trigger for the cheap, ugly Savages. By the way, my 300win mag, well let's just say, if it's within a 1000 yards and I do my part, it's all over.

doug
Old 02-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Gold Member

i have 7 of them and all shot under 1/2 moa out 0f the box. i have rebarrel 3 and know they shoot 1/4moa. savage is the best bang for your buck out there. when i buy another rifle it will be a savage for sure. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2007, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

Savage=The small block Chevy of the gun world.Just picked up a walking/calling 223 Stevens($259)that shot great but still got converted to 204 as I had the barrel laying around.The trigger was lightened to 3.5 lbs and aint bad for a factory trigger.I personaly dont like the accutrigger but have a couple of very adjustable aftermarket triggers.
The tuperware conoe paddles are junk as far as useing them with a bipod but stocks are cheap and available in any form you want!Looking forward to the new offerings but have not had the pleasure of useing one YET.
I like the fact that I can swap barrels out,though to be honest I usualy use the barrel that is on at the time and very seldom switch barrels in the field.
The top unit is a long action 6.5-284 that could also be a 25-06 or 30-06
The middle unit is a single shot in 243 that has never had the barrel off as it shoots the 55s too good to mess with.The prairie dogs know it as <font color="red">red mist </font> !!
The bottom unit has a 223AI barrel on it now but gets switched out quit often with a regular 223 or 204 barrels.