Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Savage rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2004, 01:07 PM

Re: Savage rifles

I bought a Savage 112BVSS in 7mm Rem Mag a few months ago. When working up a good load with the 162gr A-max bullets and H4831, the largest 3 shot group was 3/4" and the smallest 1/4". Average around 1/2". The amazing thing was that all groups were with different loads across a 5 grain spread!

To say Savage make accurate rifles straight out of the box is an understatement!
Old 11-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Bronze Member

It could have something to do with the employees buying the factory a number of years back. Employee ownership can provide a certain incentive. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2004, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member

Ok I get it! Savage shoots great! But they all look like tupper wear rifles.I suppose I could put a new stock on them.I want a walking varminter.I've been thinking about a Rem 700 LV-SF or a Sako 75. But those pieces or 850.00 to 1200 bucks.I want it in 22-250.Dang men which Savage would I want? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2004, 05:21 AM
Bronze Member

That tupperware look is exactly why I didn't have any problem using it as a walking stick to ford a knee high river when hauling quarters and back straps on my back. Everything that was not stainless (bolt head, baffle, retaining pins, etc.), I put electroless nickel on. When it snowed or rained, I didn't bother to dry it off knowing that its impervious to the elements and I only spent $299 for it.

My nice expensive rifles are just like my nice expensive cars, in that I only take them out in nice weather. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Ronnie

If I could only get the mag well out.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:41 AM
Gold Member

There are any number of reasons supposedly why Savage rifles are supposed to be more accurate than the competition, on average (individual specimens not withstanding). Savage uses a floating bolt head, which eliminates/reduces one big 'problem' that Remchesters have, making sure the bolt lugs are both bearing on their recesses. Savage uses button rifled barrels instead of hammer forged (Kind of weird looking down a Savage barrel... the tops of the lands look all nasty w/ tool chatter marks from boring the hole, but the bottom of the lands look polished and smooth, almost perfect like a custom barrel). And finally, the barrel nut system allows them to control headspace to a fine degree during assembly. Not sure how much are they put into individual rifles w/ concern to headspace as compared to Remchesters, but from what I've gathered they tend to be a little snugger and closer to minimum.

HTH,

Monte