Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Savage Rifle Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

Savage Rifle Questions

Okay, I posted a thread yesterday regarding Savage 111 model rifles. I have received one post back about that model.

So, what I am interested in is, what models do all of you out there feel are the best for a simple good everyday hunting rifle. I have never owned or shot a Savage, so I can't compare it to one of my own.

I am looking to purchase a rifle as a gift and have been looking at the Savage brand, but am hesitant to purchase one with out more information than I can get off of ready descriptions from Savage web page, etc..

Please, feel free to let me know what models you have and what you like or dislike about it.

Thanks.....
Old 12-29-2013, 07:06 PM
Gold Member

Re: Savage Rifle Questions

I have 5 Savages and think they are great. Plus they are easy to work on yourself, if so inclined They tend to have good quality control and are rated one of he best out of the box rifles accuracy for these days, especially for the price.

They have some stuff you cannot find for the price on other rifles like a full length aluminum bedding block (Accustock). The accutrigger is one of the better factory triggers also. Can be adjusted for safe, light, crisp pull.

I like the 16/116 FCSS due to the stainless steel. It is also one of their more attractive rifles. Very nice. Would make a wonderful general hunter.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Barrelnut,

Thank you for the information and response to my question that I posed on the thread. I will definitely look into that model of the Savage.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:58 AM
Silver Member

Shedhunt, I posted a reply in your other thread but if you are planning to gift a rifle I would take a good hard look at the Ruger American rifle. I have messed with several of them and own one with never a hiccup from any of them and think they are the best value going right now.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Silver Member

I own a savage 10fp (.308), 111 (,270), 93r (.17HMR), and mkII (.22lr). All are absolute shooters! Not sure what calibur you're after, but the Model 11 Hunter series comes with a Nikon BDC scope and they are very accurate for factory rifles.

My 10FP and 111 are both bedded with quality optics and mounting systems. I have less than $1,000 in each rifle and both shoot sub-MOA.

I would suggest a model 11 in 7mm-08 or a 111 in either .25-06 or .270. Both are very versile rounds.

I do not buy any other brand of rifles because Savage makes the best quality for the money. Period.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

Gunpoor and Megastink,

Thank you both for feed back. I have been looking into the Savage 111 in either 7mm or 300 win. What I have found is that Ruger American doesn't provide these calibers in that model, I would have to go to the M77, which is a great gun. I have an older one that shoots lights out every time.

Thank you again..
Old 12-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Silver Member

My pleasure. Keep in mind that I am an absolute stickler for accuracy. If my rifle shoots over 1MOA, even at 50 yards, I'm disappointed. I would take a hard look at a 111. Personally, I would spend a little more money and get that rifle bedded.

Its not a necessity if you hunt short to moderate range, but it helps (costs me $100 at my local smith). I feel that every rifle, no matter the brand, should be bedded.

Enjoy that rifle! Itll treat you well!