Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Savage convert to 270 AM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

Savage convert to 270 AM

Like a kid waiting for Christmas morning the package arrived Saturday afternoon after being out in the "makeup" room in Montana for awhile.

My shooting partner and I had spent a year researching ideas about guns in order to meet our goal of getting into the mile long club. We chose Kirby to build our gun and shipped off our Savage BVSS in 300WM to him to get converted to a 270 AM. We chose the 270 because of our familiarity with the 300RUM and the ease of forming brass, etc.

We chose to go with a 30" Lilja fluted barrel with muzzle brake. Kirby pillar bedded the stock, accurized the reciever, installed the Holland comp recoil lug and matte finished the metal.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Silver Member

This thread....

IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES!!!!

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 09-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Gold Member

Hmmm, weird. Last time I looked, there were pictures and I post that I added??
Old 09-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalleyeGod View Post
meet our goal of getting into the mile long club. We chose Kirby to build our gun ... a 270 AM.
Sheese, what a kid won't ask for for christmas? Your life is most certainly ruined! A 270 AM for a mile shot? In your wildest dreams! There will be a mile of destruction between now and that mile mark.

Now that I have your attention.:eek:

By a mile of distruction I mean a whole bunch of holes in gongs, and tons of exploded milk jugs. Its flat awesome to be able to see those explosions in the scope after the shot. Between the explosion and the THWACK! it'll make your day!

I love mine.

May I give you some free counsel, huh? Don't diddle with it like I did. I tho't I had to develop my own loads and stuff. Ask Kirby for what his standard load is, I never have:o including overall length. The rifle shot well and most probably very well with that load before he shipped it.

Break in the barrel per instructions, do the corn meal thing as Kirby suggests. You'll end up shooting that mile (if you can ever get past the sheer fun of busting rocks waaayyy out there)

I say all of this to keep you from wasting too many shots as I did. I have about 300 down the tube and 200 of 'em were pretty much unnecessary.

Having said that, I just came home with a can of Accurate 8700

Jeeze I love to shoot that thing.

Oh yeah, and I'd consider avoiding Nosler brass, big time. But if you really are driven in that direction I'll send you some all ready to be fire formed.

Good luck and good shootin'
Old 09-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaites View Post
This thread....

IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES!!!!

Bill

Looks like he was trying to trick us, the thread with pics is over here:

Savage convert to 270 AM
Old 09-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

Yeh Slopes, don't know what happened but the one with pics is on the other thread. I musta did a somting wrong.

Roy:
Am seriously considering nixing the Nosler brass idea. Now for some reason the next few I fire formed, the primer comes out the base of the case about 1/32" and is flat. Haven't popped it out yet? Any ideas as to what is going on here based on your experience with Nosler brass?
Old 09-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalleyeGod View Post
Roy:
Am seriously considering nixing the Nosler brass idea. Now for some reason the next few I fire formed, the primer comes out the base of the case about 1/32" and is flat. Haven't popped it out yet? Any ideas as to what is going on here based on your experience with Nosler brass?
Hmmmmm, never had that happen. The symptom would seem to me, whether you are fire forming w/corn meal or w/a bullet, that you may be NOT leaving the dime's thickness just a head of the shoulder when necking down. Not doing so would allow the firing pin to push the whole cartridge forward to the thoulder and when she goes bang the primer moves before the case comes back.

That's just my guess. Ask Kirby. He'll know.

If the primer pocket is loose after the fire forming, I wouldn't know what to do. Maybe get lighter corn meal.

The next thing to check w/the nosler brass is once fire formed and before resizing (Kirby says to full length resize, just don't push the shoulder back) does the bullet "fall" back into the case mouth? All of mine did. This was my second problem with the nosler brass.

Also, I'd stick with the 169s. At your elevation I'd start w/a sea level bc of 0.74 or 0.75