Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Savage 111 Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 06:51 AM
Silver Member

Re: Savage 111 Questions

I bought a Savage 111 in 270Win several years ago off of gunbroker.com that had a Boyd's laminated stock and Timney trigger. When I received the rifle it looked brand new and I loved it but it wouldn't feed worth a hoot. I saw that the feed lips of the magazine had been jimmied with so I ordered and installed a new mag box. This helped very little so I dremeled the feed ramp to a shallower angle and this helped a lot but still wasn't quite right, so then I used a sanding block and sanded the cartridge guide flutes in the mag follower so that it tucked the cartridges into the feed lips on the magazine further and " voila", it feed like a dream come true. This rifle is a .25 MOA gun and is now owned by the oldest son, as I gave it away. It was worth all the aggravation it caused me and made Adam grin till his cheeks hurt when he shot it at the range.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Silver Member

Re: Savage 111 Questions

Dennis,

If I go this route and need some more instructions on exactly what you did, I will look you up. Thank you for the feed back, you are not the first to tell me the same thing about feeding issues.