Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

S1's Flash Hole Uniformer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2003, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: S1\'s Flash Hole Uniformer

When I compared two batches of Norma brass from the same production lot, with and without the procedure, the reamed brass produced more uniform velocities and lower SD's. Unfortunately we have not shot that brass since, although it is on my bench and will get reloaded for another test. My test was limited and I would be more comfortable having done it several times, but the fellow who now has the reamer has tested it extensively and he is a believer.

My partner also bought a uniformer from S1 and he alsolikes the results. He is doing all of his cases, feels that it is worthwhile.

Whatever turns your crank, I will use the little device when I test bullets etc. and want to split Irish Reds.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

Boyd

As well as your rifle is shooting this year, I wouldn't change a thing.

With that being said, over the years I have tried .084", .086" and .088" flash hole reamers and really don't see a differance in the three diameters.
Reaming flash holes does make everything uniform and should be done in most cases especially if your going for the best accuracy you need.
Some of the brass you find have burrs on the inside of the flash hole that needs removed. The flash holes are not always the same diameter from the factory either. This could cause the ignition rate to change from case to case.

I will bring you a flash hole reamer to try and see if it makes a change in your accuracy of that "hot" rifle of yours.

DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2003, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

Darryl,PLEASE don't tell me I should start turning neck's too [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2003, 10:06 AM
Silver Member

Hey Boyd,

I don't turn necks either and probably won't be in the near future.

I do, however, deburr flash holes on new brass. It's a one time gig and, as I use WW brass, I've found some pretty amazing obstructions. I prefer deburring simply to get consistent ignition patterns.

I also uniform as it supplants the pocket cleaning anyway. The difference in feeling the primer seat with a hand tool is definitely noticeable. Again, chasing ignition consistency.

I use collett dies and realise good concentric ammo so I don't think the intensive labor that neck turning involves would be of much benefit for my reality.

Take care.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

and I'm sure as hell not going to argue with success [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Methinks the old, 'If it ain't broke,' adage may apply here!
Old 07-03-2003, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

I must admit, Boyds rifle is shooting great.

Later
DC
Old 07-03-2003, 12:58 PM
Silver Member

Yes I would agree that he is doing well. Well enough not to change things. I like the pull the brass from the bag and load it technique too. Hey Boyd I am leaving Martin home this week. I told him his head got too big to fit in the truck!!!