Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

S1's Flash Hole Reamer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2003, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

S1\'s Flash Hole Reamer

Sam,
Got the reamers today, very beautifully made units. Can't find the "ON" switch, tho. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Interested to hear your opinion of reaming the primer pockets, worth doing? My RCBS rig came set a little too deep, primers end up sitting below flush and must be jumping back a bit upon ignition. Adjusted it up a bit but not sure I am doing any good.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: S1\'s Flash Hole Reamer

S1 must be busy building stuff.

I can tell you that he insists on truing primer pockets - he's got me hooked on the practice. The Sinclair uniformer is great, and doubles as a quick primer pocket cleaner after firing the round as well.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

Ian,
I've got the Sinclair model that STL refers too, it makes for primers setting a little below the surface too, but they're all consistant though and I think that probably matters more concerning lock time. There's no way I'd do these by hand either, a drill makes fast work of these little buggers. Man I've got some off center flash holes in alot of my Ultra brass, I'll have to get a flash hole reamer from Sam when the wifes rifle quits draining the bank account here next month. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2003, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Shot a nice test of S1's flash-holer and it appeared to have done quite well. Without boring you with details our best 10 shot groups at 100 yards were with brass that had been "flash-holed". Velocity did not change significantly, nor did SD's but the groups did.
We will re-shoot this a couple of times to see if the results stay constant.
Right in the middle of my partner's shooting session a freaking snow-squall blew in and we could hardly see the target. He shot the best groups of the day in the damn snow-storm - as in ten shots in just a hair over 0.50". Oehler 35P kept ticking through the entire storm, very cold but we shot some nice 10-shot groups today.