Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Which rifle rest???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Silver Member

Which rifle rest???

I've never owned one, always used a backpack...but my buddy built a table on my 100 yard range (sight in range) and I want to put a rifle rest on it.

I've looked at them online for 2 weeks now and have some ideas but I would like to hear from some folks who have them or have used them.

Caldwell makes a few nice ones, I'm not interested in the Lead Sleds (I want my shoulder on the stock, cheek weld too)...just a shooting rest that is rock steady and not more than about $200.

Doesn't have to be Caldwell...those are just the ones that pop up in an internet search the most. Actually...anything that will work would be nice to hear about (rear bags and bipods, the big filled bags, etc.....anything that makes for a good steady sight in rest) I sight in a lot of rifles for other people...its getting to be time consuming at times (you know, those days when you just can't do anything right...)

All help is appreciated

Last edited by Ridgerunner665; 07-11-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which rifle rest???

I really like the Caldwell Firecontrol front rest.

It's heavy/solid, allows vertical/horizontal fine tuning with your free hand, and is easy to get right back to battery and POA.

It's very adjustable for a variety of stocks.

I really like Protektor rear bags.

That said, I haven't use mine in a long while. I have a Sinclair F Class bipod that's a lot easier to lug around when not shooting from a Harris bipod.

-- richard
Old 07-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

+1for the Caldwell.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

Sinclair rests for me. 3 rests with 4 tops with different size bags.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Gold Member

Not a thing wrong with plain old sand bags made from shot bags or pants legs. Unless you just want something fancy.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Silver Member

I was just curious if the "fancy" rests were any better than bags...I know bags work, and work great....but having never used a "fancy" rest, I thought it was worth looking into before making a decision.

Looks like I'll just get a rear bag and use the bipod for the adjustments if I need them.

I do appreciate the input folks...
Old 07-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner665 View Post
I was just curious if the "fancy" rests were any better than bags...I know bags work, and work great....but having never used a "fancy" rest, I thought it was worth looking into before making a decision.

Looks like I'll just get a rear bag and use the bipod for the adjustments if I need them.

I do appreciate the input folks...
A simple bipod and/or home-made sand bags work great from a bench.

The Caldwell Firecontrol is significantly better. It's the best one of it's type in the sub $200 price range.

Whether or not it's worth the money is something you have to decide for yourself.

-- richard