Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Rifle Painting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2006, 01:57 PM

Rifle Painting?

Whats the best brand of paint to paint a rifle? I want to go with a light olive drab.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:14 PM

Re: Rifle Painting?

I use Krylon Ultra Flat. Available at your local Wal-mart or auto store for right around $3 a can. Holds up fairly well, provided you wipe down the rifle good with alcohol or some other solvent that will strip the oil but not the finish off your gun.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

I've been entertaining the thought of painting one of my coyote guns to use on bright, sunny days. What all do you recommend painting? Everything but the bolt? The stock? Will regular spray paint hold up on a polymer stock? I don't really care how it looks but I don't want to interfere with functionality, either.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

Here's what I did......

Painted barrel/action and stock and made a cover for the scope.

A real low end paint job.

Actually this was my first attempt w/an airbrush. I used simple outdoor craft paint and diluted it sufficently to work in the airbrush.

Turns out it wears pretty well.

The rifle is an old and well worn REM 722 in 222.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member

The Aluma-Hyde II paint from Brownells is a great paint for what your wanting , once it cures it is realy hard and scratch resistant. Assuming that you take the proper paint treatment , like totaly degreasing the area and, and letting the paint cure fully which can take as long as 2 weeks if you live in a cold damp area.
I paint alot of stocks for rifles and shotguns with this stuff. I have converted a cabnet into a closet size paint drying booth , I just hang the painted part in their turn on the heater and in about 3 days its totaly cured
Old 03-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Bronze Member

I too have used it with good success on stocks. JDJones, have you used it on barrels and/or recievers? I have a project that I'm considering it.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

can you get the stuff for and airbrush i have a fiberguard i want to do along with the scope