Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Removal Method for Bedding Compound (Goobers)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2003, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

Removal Method for Bedding Compound (Goobers)?

Picked up a used rifle, the previous owner "attempted" to bed it and did a sloppy job. It appers that he handled the stock with bedding coumpound on his fingers and "smeared" or "boogered" the finish with bedding compound. Short of stripping the entire stock, looking for ideas to remove problem areas without wrecking or at least minimalizing damge to finish. Current finish is satin. (Hope this is an appropriate forum for this)?

Thanks

Member #92
Old 06-05-2003, 07:25 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Removal Method for Bedding Compound (Goobers)?

time to crank up a dremel tool. with a light touch it should be no problem
Old 06-08-2003, 07:54 PM
Bronze Member

Nod
that is what I would recomend is a dremmel tool kit, there about 35.00 to 45.00 depending on where you get one from and thats with the tools that you will need to cut the bedding out with
Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak7mm View Post
Picked up a used rifle, the previous owner "attempted" to bed it and did a sloppy job. It appers that he handled the stock with bedding coumpound on his fingers and "smeared" or "boogered" the finish with bedding compound. Short of stripping the entire stock, looking for ideas to remove problem areas without wrecking or at least minimalizing damge to finish. Current finish is satin. (Hope this is an appropriate forum for this)?

Thanks
Depends on what compound was used and how bad the slop is. If it's minor, do it by hand with sandpaper CAREFULLY!

Then of course you'll have to re-touch the spot you just sanded. Personally I'm very fast with a rotary tool which I used constantly, but one little "Oops" and you're into another area of "stripping and refinishing" the stock. Hand sanding is more controllable if you're not experienced with rotary tools.

I have an M14 stock with the worst bedding job I've seen and expect to waste about 2 days on clearing out a bad bedding job since it's such a nice stock. Sigh.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:48 PM
Silver Member

Put the stock in the freezer. Yes, I am serious.

Leave it in for an hour, pull on a couple of the goobers....if not loose yet, put in for another hour.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acloco View Post
Put the stock in the freezer. Yes, I am serious.

Leave it in for an hour, pull on a couple of the goobers....if not loose yet, put in for another hour.
Problem with that one is "depending" on what bedding compound it is, it may well take wood off with it.