Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Remington's Quality Issues......Please inform me.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2003, 06:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: Remington\'s Quality Issues......Please inform me.

Not to stir an old pot, but has anyone had good luck with Remington's new boomers, ie the Ultra Mags in the Sendero SF?
db
Old 02-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Silver Member

To those saying that Remington "does nothing" on warranty claims, I disagree. A couple of years ago, I bought a new VLS in 223. When I fired it, there was a light ring around the brass. (Apparently the reamer caught a chip). It wasn't bad, but I noticed it. After calling Remington, I took it to a local dealer that they referred me to. They test fired it, agreed, boxed it up, and sent it to Remington. A week later, I had a new barrelled action in my original stock. (I had installed a Timney, and Dremeled out a small notch to clear the adjustment screws, so I knew it was my stock. I put the original trigger back on before shipping...). A short note was with it, no questions, no charges of any kind.

Yeah, they should've caught it the first time, but it honestly wasn't that bad. I was looking closely at the brass for pressure signs, etc. Mistakes happen. I was completely satisfied with the way they handled the whole thing.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:09 AM
Bronze Member

I recently purchased a Remington 700 VLS chambered in a .223. I drove the guy crazy behind the counter at the gun shop. I saw 5 guns before I found one without a defect in the stock. His answer to me about the quality is, "That's how they come these days". The consumer (us) are our own worst enemy! The more we accept this less than perfect quality, the more they will continue to sell it to us. I own and shoot three Remingtons and they all shoot well enough out of the box with a little work for long range hunting. All I am trying to say here is buyer beware! Don't except it just because you want it really bad. In time it will be quality that makes or breaks Remington.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:36 PM

I bought a Rem VS 25-06 last year and it had a ridge on the shoulder of the chamber. I took it back to the gun dealer and showed him the first fired case and he said it's ugly but it won't hurt a thing. B.S. I sent it back to Rem and I put tiny center punch marks on the bolt, barrel and the receiver to see if they did anything when it was returned. It came back with a new barrel AND receiver (no punch marks, same bolt) and it shoots 75 grain Hornady VMaxs into very tiny groups.

I fired a total of 9 rounds working up the load. The first three had two in one hole and one a diameter out. The second three, 1/2 gr more, went into one .300" hole and the next three went into the same .300" hole so I quit testing and went shooting.

BUT... I will never buy another Remington again unless it is at least 20 years old. I have 700 BDL's that old and older and older XP-100's that are excellent and shoot great but the new stuff is ****.

This is corporate raiding at it's worst. We are selling our country to the highest bidder and giving the jobs to the mexicans. We don't deserve anything more than what we are getting because of greed and avarice on everyones part including me.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Silver Member

I must be lucky. I purchased a Sendero 7mm mag SF about 5 yrs ago, and a 220swift VSSF last summer, and both guns shoot one ragged hole at 100yds with factory ammo. Is the QC on these different? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2003, 01:46 PM
Silver Member

I have a couple things I can gripe about with Rem. The VS-SF in 22-250 I bought for my son last spring was shooting very erratic, It would shoot a good group, around 1/2" let barrel cool a bit then the very same load, all over the place, well after a couple hundred rounds of fartin' around, I noticed the barrel had less clearance on the left side of the barrel channel, I then took my thunbhole HS stock off my 6mm Rem. and put the '250' reciever in it, same result, looked down the barrel and it looked like the barrel had a bend in it, didn't look as straight as my 6mm, not even close, called Rem. told'em what I had and Jess. said it's possible, but rare to have a bent barrel, send it back, she said. After going round and round with customer service, they kept telling me they were going to put a new stock on, wasn't bedded right, I said NO, I told'em what I had done with switching stocks and low and behold I get a call one morning from the Rem. repair shop, how 'bout we put a new barrel on for ya, that would be fine, when I got it back, whole new rifle, cool [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Then as I was adjusting the trigger to a nice pull, after switching triggers with a buddy of mine, the bolt handle fell off, no problem, not going to shoot when it's -5 anyway, warranty covered it. But, my 6mm shoots like gang-busters, got that back in about '90' that got recalled for a soft trigger sear I think it's called,(the piece on top of the trigger assy.) But I really like the Rem. trigger, I have all of my Rem. rifles set @ 1.9lbs except my 6mm, 9oz. (Jewell). All in all, I think they're just as well built as any mass produced rifle. Jay [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2003, 02:27 PM
Silver Member

Just got off the phone with Renae from Remington, she said they're still using HS stocks on their VS & Sendero models, to put the kabosh on that rumor [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]